Embarcadero Releases Free C++ Compiler for Windows

Vailton Renato

Jul 21, 2016, 12:16:46 PM7/21/16
to Harbour Users

Embarcadero Technologies (recently acquired by IDERA), a leading provider of software solutions for application development, today announced its latest C++ compiler for Windows is free and available for download.

Embarcadero’s free C++ compiler supports programmers with a modern, Clang-based tool for Windows—with key language extensions beyond those currently available on the market. The compiler also enables developers to develop software directly with the tool, add support to libraries or test code and find bugs that are only visible when using multiple compilers.

The C++ compiler is the foundation and core technology of Embarcadero's award-winning 10.1 Berlin release of C++Builder—a cross-platform C-integrated development environment that enables multi-platform deployment from a single codebase to Windows, OSX, iOS and Android. C++Builder features advanced cross-platform UI design tools, enterprise quality database libraries and C++ support for multiple language extensions. The free version, the successor to the classic Borland 5.5 compiler, allows programmers to use the production Win32 toolchain.

“I'm pleased Embarcadero is publishing a new command-line based compiler for C++, based on the 10.1 Berlin compiler,” said Volker Hillmann, founding director of adecc Systemhaus GmbH, a Berlin-based software company and Microsoft solution provider. “Beginners and students alike can use this tool free of charge to learn modern C++, and professional teams can use it to build libraries and make their own code compatible with Embarcadero's extensions.”

Anyone can use the new C++ compiler to build Windows console or graphical applications. The tool is especially helpful for students and beginners learning C++ who need a simple, standards-compatible compiler, or for developers to ensure their code and libraries integrate seamlessly with all compilers on the market.

“The Borland compiler has been supported in CMake since the very early days. It’s cool to see it come back as another free compiler for the Windows platform,” said Bill Hoffman, vice president and CTO at Kitware Inc. and the original author and lead architect of CMake. “Diversity in compilers can improve quality of code as each compiler finds different issues with the code. Basing it on the Clang compiler makes a lot of sense and it’s exciting to see how many new tools are taking advantage of the BSD licensed C++ compiler. We will be looking forward to Embarcadero contributing back to CMake support for new compilers as they release them.”

Availability

The Embarcadero C++ compiler is currently available for download at:https://www.embarcadero.com/free-tools/ccompiler

The free C++ compiler comes from C++Builder, the cross-platform tool targeting Windows, iOS, Android and OSX. It includes the FireMonkey UI framework with native controls and a multi-device designer to design once but specialize for any platform or device; database support through FireDAC; and enterprise and REST services with RAD Server. Try it for free at https://www.embarcadero.com/products/cbuilder.

About Embarcadero

Embarcadero builds tools for the world’s most talented software developers, enabling them to deliver secure, scalable enterprise applications faster than any other platforms on the market. In fact, 90 companies in the Fortune 100 and an active community of more than three million users worldwide rely on award-winning products from Embarcadero for their critical applications. To learn more, visit www.embarcadero.com.

Vailton Renato

Jul 21, 2016, 12:20:02 PM7/21/16
to Harbour Users
Are someone build the Harbour using this new C/C ++ compiler ?

Massimo Belgrano

Jul 22, 2016, 6:28:12 AM7/22/16
to harbou...@googlegroups.com
nice have bcc 10.1 also if bcc remain out from qt
I explode zip to C:\dvl\BCC101 size of folder is 176 MB

cd \harbour
SET HB_COMPILER=bcc
SET HB_INSTALL_PREFIX=C:\harbour
SET PATH=C:\HARBOUR\bin\win\bcc;%path%
SET PATH=C:\DVl\BCC101\BIN;%path%
WIN-MAKE clean install

Massimo Belgrano
Delta Informatica S.r.l. (Cliccami per scoprire

Mel Smith

Jul 22, 2016, 2:59:39 PM7/22/16
to Harbour Users
Hi Massimo:

I have been trying to build harbour under the new BCC 10.1 for several hours now with NO success

I note that the BCC101 executable is bcc32c.exe NOT bcc32.exe.

Also, win-make calls up bcc32.exe which does not even exist.  Also the bcc32c.cfg is significantly different than the older bcc32.cfg. Also, there is no ilink32.cfg

So, it startles me, that you had any success in building. I certainly did not :(

I even tried copying bcc32c.exe to bcc32.exe and bcc32c.cfg to bcc32.cfg and, again had NO success.

I also tried your command lines on my machine and again with NO success.

What is your magic trick ??

Thanks !

-Mel

Mel Smith

Jul 25, 2016, 11:48:33 PM7/25/16
to Harbour Users
Any comments from anybody ??
-Mel

Влад Ермаков

Aug 2, 2016, 6:31:28 AM8/2/16
to harbou...@googlegroups.com
Well, I've been trying to build harbour with that new compiler for two days without success. First of all, that package doesn't contain resource compiler brcc32, but it has MS resource compiler included, with which it's still impossible to build hbmk2.exe. Although hbmk2 is created but an attempt to run failed with "error 9994: CP initialisation failed".
I took brcc32.exe from v.7.0 of C Compiler, but my attempt failed again.
Finally, it has bothered me ;), so I've downloaded trial version of C++Builder 10.1 and have built Harbour successfully with the command-line compiler from this package.
I hadn't compared those versions (free and commercial) yet.

Any comments from anybody ??
-Mel