Volcano Extruder

Evan d'Entremont

Mar 27, 2018, 7:59:34 PM3/27/18
to Halifax Makerspace
Figured I'd share some info; I just added an E3D volcano extruder to my printer. It's not going to win any awards for the surface finish, but I don't really care for purely utilitarian parts.

It's a piece of a geodesic dome, technically 40% infill but the extruder nozzle is 1.2mm so it's almost completely solid.

I designed a custom rostock platform to hold the hot end very sturdy and had it running up to 120mm/s with a 1.2mm head, or about .9cc per second. The limiting factor is actually the spool itself, not the print head. I can't keep it moving fast and smooth enough without manual intervention, or hopefully, bearings and a filament guide. In theory I can run through a spool of filament in about 6 hours :D

This print took just over an hour at 40mm/s. The platform was printed at 120mm/s with a .6 head with a (close to) stock platform.

Baha Baydar

Mar 27, 2018, 11:02:26 PM3/27/18
to halifaxm...@googlegroups.com
That's pretty awesome Evan. I have a clone volcano that I haven't installed on a printer yet. It's neat to see what they can do.

--

---

Baha Baydar
bba...@gmail.com