New couch

Tom Servaes

May 15, 2018, 6:43:38 PM5/15/18
to halifaxm...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

If someone has a nice couch they wish to donate, we sure could use a better one.

The current couch is very functional and comfortable but it is not sightly. We're doing public workshops now, so I thought it might be a good time to swap out the couch.

Thanks for any suggestions or donations. The space available is around 5x3.5 feet.

Tom

--
Tom Servaes

There's a war going on for your mind. If you're thinking, you're winning.

cell:902-449-4555
mailto:tom.s...@gmail.com

"The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place." – George Bernard Shaw
"Everything is vague to a degree you do not realize till you have tried to make it precise." – Bertrand Russell

Ferretbelly

Jun 20, 2018, 10:04:29 AM6/20/18
to Halifax Makerspace
I can give my sewing skills a test and make a slip cover for the current sofa.

Shawn Wilson

Jun 20, 2018, 4:10:22 PM6/20/18
to halifaxm...@googlegroups.com
That'd be cool, though when my wife recovered ours in the past, we were shocked at the cost of material.  She's sometimes found stupidly good prices on large rolls of fabric at Frenchie's and Bargain Harley's in the valley.

On Wed, Jun 20, 2018, 11:04 Ferretbelly, <ferre...@gmail.com> wrote:
I can give my sewing skills a test and make a slip cover for the current sofa.

--

---

Shawn Wilson

Jun 20, 2018, 8:54:54 PM6/20/18
to halifaxm...@googlegroups.com
Checked with my wife. Will bring in 2 slip covers to try. And she teal this roll of teal golfshirty material. Not sure if it's be appropriate or desirable for a slip cover?

Ferretbelly (Ania Chen)

Jun 21, 2018, 11:04:39 AM6/21/18
to Halifax Makerspace
The slip cover fabric will need to be non-stretchy and opaque enough to keep the underlying stripes from showing through.  It's a bit hard to tell if the golfshirty material will work from the picture, although if it's possible to bring in a sample, we can better decide then.

And yeah, sofa covers are expensive to make. If you have some already and they fit, that would work. I looked around the fabric store, and based on their sofa diagrams you'd need about 9-12 meters of fabric. At the general cost of $20/m that gets to be pretty high, and there are way more useful things to use $300 on for the space than a prettier sofa. I did measure/pattern it yesterday to get a better estimate of how much fabric it would actually need, then I can keep my eye out for inexpensive fabric.

There is always the art school / TOA bakery method of painting the whole thing a solid colour. One bucket of paint, then let kids draw on it during the anniversary event. :p

Shawn Wilson

Jun 21, 2018, 12:19:18 PM6/21/18
to halifaxm...@googlegroups.com
The fabric is stretchy.  I would love to just have people paint it if it wouldn't feel crunchy to sit on?  TOA bakery?

Ferretbelly (Ania Chen)

Jun 21, 2018, 6:32:35 PM6/21/18
to Halifax Makerspace
I'd say 50/50 on the crunchiness, the maker space sofa is a better candidate as it's a canvas like material. TOA (The Old Apothecary Bakery on Barrington Street) has old velvet couches that are pretty crunchy with the long fibers. As long as you don't pile too much paint on it, it should be ok, could try out a bit on the underside of a cushion.

Shawn Wilson

Jun 21, 2018, 6:34:41 PM6/21/18
to halifaxm...@googlegroups.com
I love the idea of a graffitied sofa.  What kind of paint would you use?

Shawn Wilson

Jun 21, 2018, 6:57:50 PM6/21/18
to halifaxm...@googlegroups.com
According to this, chalk paint would do it...