So about that business plan?

Matthew Rochon

May 29, 2016, 3:49:49 AM5/29/16
to Halifax Makerspace
"We will have the business plan posted on the mailing list and Google Group no later than May 15th"

There are those of us(me included) who would like to help out and also become members, but you guys give no information on how we can do either of those things and it seems like you guys don't look at this google group anymore.

The worst thing you can do is be silent for months. I have tried to start a Maker Space myself with a few friends back in Pictou County where I moved from to Halifax and I have seen how easily people can loose interest when things don't happen fast enough for them or it feels like things are going now where. What I'm trying to say is please give us an update. I see this http://www.kijiji.ca/v-events/city-of-halifax/halifax-makerspace-show-and-tell/1168730330 is happening and you didn't even post on the face book page, twitter, the google group or the website.

I'm not trying to sound mad, cranky or anything like that, I just want to see this Maker Space succeed. I volunteer with a non-profit so I understand the struggles of keeping the lights on and doors open.

Adam Cox

May 30, 2016, 3:52:25 AM5/30/16
to Halifax Makerspace
Hey Matthew, and all,

Sorry for the radio silence. We have been working on the business plan and checking out possible locations over the Spring but life got in the way for a few of us and pushed our plans back by a few weeks. I should have communicated that as the 15th approached. I didn't and that is on me.

The Board and a couple others met last week made some decisions to move us forward. All the details aren’t fine tuned but we will share the broad strokes at the Show-and-Tell on Tuesday and will send them out via email that night. The final business plan should be out by mid-June with an AGM to be held around the end of June or first of July. We should have firm dates for you on Tuesday, we just need to confirm some scheduling.

I realize some of you have felt left out in the cold on this process. Very shortly the power to move the Makerspace forward is fully going to be in your hands. When we get a space there are many volunteer roles that will need to be filled and lots of opportunities to roll up your sleeves and get working.

Regarding the upcoming Show-and-Tell, we posted about it back in April here on the Google Group (https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=&hl=en#!topic/halifaxmakerspace/NLg6tICYo4I) and should have sent a few reminders as well. The Kijiji ad went up for it because we haven’t done any promotion there before and one of member helpfully suggested posting it there to draw in some people who wouldn’t have seen about it here on the Google Group. One of those upcoming volunteer roles will be Communications/Social Media, so that we stop dropping the ball in this area and do a better coordinated job.

While I am sorry about the circumstances that led to you feeling the need to send this email I am really glad you did. When things get busy it can be easy to get tunnel vision. There are parts of running an organization that are inherently not fun. Hearing from others who are excited about bringing the Makerspace back as a physical space is encouraging and reminds us why we’re doing this. This helps us grin and bear the annoying stuff so we can push through and get back to making cool shit. So, thanks for criticizing in a way that pushes us forward in a positive way and doesn’t just try to stir up the negatives.

Cheers,
Adam (on behalf of the Board)

Baha Baydar

May 30, 2016, 12:29:40 PM5/30/16
to halifaxm...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the update Adam, looking forward to hearing more at the Show and Tell.

Will we get answers to the questions Evan asked then as well?

When was the last AGM?

When is the next AGM?

Who has voting rights at the AGM?

How many members are there currently?

How does one become a member at this point?

How could one become a member over the past year?

--

---

Baha Baydar
bba...@gmail.com

Graham Judge

May 30, 2016, 4:38:24 PM5/30/16
to Halifax Makerspace

Hi Baha. This question is in my queue. I'll get the answer out after the Tuesday show and tell meeting and prep is over.

Cheers,
Graham

Treasurer
HCS

Baha Baydar

May 30, 2016, 6:04:43 PM5/30/16
to halifaxm...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Graham.

--

---

Baha Baydar
bba...@gmail.com

Graham Judge

Jun 5, 2016, 10:26:50 PM6/5/16
to Halifax Makerspace
Here's some answers to the questions posed recently.

When was the last AGM?

February 16, 2015.

When is the next AGM?

First week of July. We are just waiting to confirm a venue.

Who has voting rights at the AGM?

Existing members in good standing and people who wish to become a member that night. Details on that process to follow.

How many members are there currently?

When we suspended membership fees when we became homeless there were about 17 members (full/part time) in good standing.

How does one become a member at this point?

Show up at the AGM at the end of June, sign up for a membership, discuss and vote on our presented plan.

How could one become a member over the past year?

One could not. Persons interested were requested to participate online in the Google Group and sign up at the next AGM once the plan was developed.

Cheers,

Graham
Treasurer
HMS