Woodworkers: Where do you find replacement parts for tools? I broke a drive belt.

Wesley Lutz

Dec 14, 2016, 8:47:33 AM12/14/16
to Halifax Makerspace
I have a Mastercraft 9" benchtop bandsaw, and in the middle of a project the drive belt snapped.  Turns out Canadian Tire isn't interested in repairing their own tools, and neither are the other hardware stores I've checked.

I can get by without it for now, luckily.  But I was wondering if there's any better place to go in town, or any Canadian supplier that is good for this kind of part?

(This is the part I'm looking for, but this particular site doesn't ship to Canada: http://shop.polybelt.com/2-TIRES-DRIVE-BELT-for-MASTERCRAFT-9-BAND-SAW-55-6726-8-EXB2PUOTB.htm )

Baha Baydar

Dec 14, 2016, 9:04:59 AM12/14/16
to halifaxm...@googlegroups.com
Have you tried Busy Bee tools out in Burnside?

--

---

Baha Baydar
bba...@gmail.com

Shawn Wilson

Dec 14, 2016, 9:47:47 AM12/14/16
to Halifax Makerspace
Sorry, no definitive answer, but some suggestions:

You could try eBay:

You could also try a small appliance or vacuum repair shop. Often they have a variety of belts in stock.  You might have to bring your broken belt in.

You could try measuring the length, width, # of teeth and searching for a similar belt online instead of using the model number.  Adjust your measurements to common widths, etc.  Like you might measure 1", but find that .095 is the true googleable size.

You could try researching that saw and seeing if it's identical  to another model from a different manufacturer. Often manufacturers sell these as white label products that get sold under different well-known brands.

And I've never tried it, but reship.ca gives you a US address that will reship stuff to Canada.

Busy Bee just had a switch for my belt/disc sander.  I found it by searching paddle switches, but there was no link between the model number/brand and the Busy Bee database.  It was just dumb luck and a lot of manual searching. :(  I don't think they carry toothed belts, though.

Good luck!
Shawn

--

---