source for black steel pipe

Bill Morrow

Jul 9, 2015, 8:42:30 AM7/9/15
to halifaxm...@googlegroups.com

Hi,

I'm looking for a place to get black steel plumbing pipe to use with my pipe clamps and as legs on a desk. Both 3/4" and 1/2". Preferably used or surplus.

Rona, Home Depot, Busy Bee will sell brand new pipe, but I don't need new.

Any suggestions?

Shawn Wilson

Jul 9, 2015, 9:47:27 AM7/9/15
to halifaxm...@googlegroups.com
I bought some scrap from a metal recycling place in Dartmouth a decade ago.  You could just walk right in and pick up what you want.  It might have been this place, but I don't know.  They don't mention whether they sell retail on their site:

If you have to buy new, you might want to go to with some place like Metals R Us in Burnside.  I was there a few days ago, and got two 12 foot lengths of 1/8" stainless rod for $9, and a small bunch of scrap stainless plate (they let me paw through their scrap bin) for about $20.

--

---

Shawn Wilson
@glassgiant

Bill Morrow

Jul 9, 2015, 2:03:35 PM7/9/15
to halifaxm...@googlegroups.com, sh...@glassgiant.com
Thanks Shawn for the suggestions, Shawn.

I phoned Dartmouth Metals. Over the noise of some huge pieces of metal getting destroyed, a guy told me they don't deal with anything that small. Their pipe is 12" diameter or larger. He suggested Value Sales, which looks like new sales, same as Metals R Us. I'll check them both out next time I pass through Burnside.

On Thu, Jul 9, 2015 at 9:42 AM, Bill Morrow <morr...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi,

I'm looking for a place to get black steel plumbing pipe to use with my pipe clamps and as legs on a desk. Both 3/4" and 1/2". Preferably used or surplus.

Rona, Home Depot, Busy Bee will sell brand new pipe, but I don't need new.

Any suggestions?

Shawn Wilson
@glassgiant

Adam Smith

Jul 12, 2015, 1:31:34 PM7/12/15
to halifaxm...@googlegroups.com, morr...@gmail.com
Try the Re-Store in Burnside. They carry reclaimed building material and its hit or miss with what you can find there.

Barry Slaunwhite

Jul 15, 2015, 8:58:00 PM7/15/15
to halifaxm...@googlegroups.com, morr...@gmail.com
Hi Bill,
I work at Value Sales. We can cut and thread steel pipe to any length up to 21 ft. For the small sizes you are looking for the prices aren't  too bad. We do a lot of that size pipe for the art community for their steam punk projects.

Barry