Best source for cables and wires?

Martin Bruchanov

Apr 7, 2017, 10:12:26 AM4/7/17
to halifaxm...@googlegroups.com
Hi all!

What is the best source for cables and wires around HRM?

Winter is over, so I was thinking to start building my HF antenna system.

I will need some:

* coax cables RG58, RG213 and also
* unisolated copper wire 12 AWG

I was alto thinking to build myself some heavy duty jumpstart cables with:

* at least 2 AWG copper cable.

Is there a place where they will cut me an exact length (not push me to buy 100ft roll :) Also some suggestions for on-line shops are welcome.

Regards,
BruXy

--
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Mobile: (+01) 902-476-2756

Chris McDonald

Apr 7, 2017, 10:59:32 AM4/7/17
to halifaxm...@googlegroups.com
Hello Martin,

Jentronics has RG-213 and offer a 10% discount to amateur radio operators. Its still kinda pricey.

I usually pick some up at hamfest, its cheap but usually has water damage. It will look great where they cut it off on the shack end, But if you cut the far end open you will typically find black copper. I picked up some heliax to build an EME station last fall, only to find that all but the last 6 ft of the cable had water damage and had very high loss. The water damage typically doesn't cause much loss on longer wave lengths like 40M and longer, but on VHF its a no go. On the shorter HF bands it can be acceptable if it isn't a very long run.

The next Ham fest is June 3rd in Halifax. Following that there is typically one in Greenwood in September and Moncton in October.

 On HF 75ohm RG6 that is typically used for satellite dishes is actually pretty good on HF. You can typically find a 1000ft box for like $100. The loss from the impedance miss match isn't all that significant. The only reason to go to RG213 is for the power handling, but unless your running legal limit power, RG6 is fine. The biggest downside is that you can't solder the shield, you just have to use F compression connectors.

73, VE1LX/VE1HAB
Chris McDonald

--

---