Anyone have any TIP122 transistors?

Peter-Frank Spierenburg

Mar 13, 2015, 2:53:09 PM3/13/15
to halifaxm...@googlegroups.com
Again, for the pinball project. Ideally we would like five of them to try before going out and buying a bunch online.

Peter.

Shawn Wilson

Mar 13, 2015, 3:05:03 PM3/13/15
to halifaxm...@googlegroups.com

Apologies if this is a stupid comment, but I think I have TIP120s.  If that might suffice I can make sure tonight.  I don't know enough to know if that's a reasonable substitution.

Shawn

--

---

Peter-Frank Spierenburg

Mar 13, 2015, 3:16:02 PM3/13/15
to halifaxm...@googlegroups.com
TIP120s are the same, only rated for 60V instead of 100V, so we could give them a shot.

Peter.

Shawn Wilson

Mar 13, 2015, 4:00:42 PM3/13/15
to halifaxm...@googlegroups.com

Cool, I'll double check tonight.

Shawn Wilson

Mar 13, 2015, 8:10:21 PM3/13/15
to halifaxm...@googlegroups.com
I just confirmed I have TIP120s.  Wild guess: about 50.  Are you sure you only want 5?  I don't need anywhere near 50 (I order extra of most cheap things with the intent of someday contributing to a Makerspace parts cabinet with a few of everything, or just so I can contribute to things like this).  And it would suck to lose a week because you were being polite. :)  I got my laser thermometer out too.

I'm not in tomorrow or Sunday, but will be in Thursday.  If you want them before that, let me know and I can probably drop them off some time tomorrow, unless anyone is out Hammonds Plains way (off the Pockwock Road) before then.

Shawn
--
Shawn Wilson
@glassgiant

Peter-Frank Spierenburg

Mar 14, 2015, 7:22:31 AM3/14/15
to halifaxm...@googlegroups.com
I think that Thursday will be fine. I've got a new design in mind based on the attached file, and I want to show some of my work colleagues (they are electrical engineers) before burning more transistors.

Peter.

Wpc-solenoid.pdf

Shawn Wilson

Mar 14, 2015, 8:41:28 AM3/14/15
to halifaxm...@googlegroups.com

Cool.

Chris McDonald

Mar 14, 2015, 8:56:08 AM3/14/15
to halifaxm...@googlegroups.com
Just did a quick bit of math and BJT transistors will only dissipate around 3.5W at 5A so that looks good.

I think we should continue on with the 50N06 MOSFETs for the time being. Just because we burned up two 30N06LE dosn't mean the design is flawed. The 50N06 are slightly beefier and the higher threshold voltage shouldn't be a problem at these relatively low currents.

Shawn Wilson

Mar 14, 2015, 9:15:02 AM3/14/15
to halifaxm...@googlegroups.com
I'll bring 50N06 and TIP120s on Thursday.  You're welcome to whatever you like from those.