Holiday ornaments

Shawn Wilson

Dec 6, 2016, 11:19:20 PM12/6/16
to halifaxm...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,
We have been invited by the Central library at the last minute to put on a tech craft session on Saturday. We have decided to make edge lit acrylic holiday shelf ornaments. We tested a generic  base tonight that can be used for this holiday session, and Valentine's, etc in the future.  Basically, it's 2.25 inches diameter round, with a 3-5mm led sticking up in the center and two slots on either side of the led. We can laser cut/engrave 1/4 inch acrylic pieces to insert into the slots. I am working on a Christmas tree but it would be nice to have two or three other possible holiday designs.  I will put out an svg to the list tomorrow with the bottom tab profile in case anyone wanted to help with this. Just floating the idea tonight. Ornaments would be 3 inches or so tall, 2 or so wide.  Here is a pic of the base.  I would need the files by early Friday evening for the Saturday session, or if you felt like making a Valentine's or whatever, that would be cool to have on file. If anyone does want to pitch in, let me know.  More details tomorrow.

Real O'Neil

Dec 6, 2016, 11:37:15 PM12/6/16
to halifaxm...@googlegroups.com
So you're just looking for vector art of Xmas-ey type stuff that'd fit the base to cut into acrylic?

--

---

Real O'Neil

Dec 6, 2016, 11:38:07 PM12/6/16
to halifaxm...@googlegroups.com
Because I can crank out vectors pretty quick if you give me the specs/measurements.

Shawn Wilson

Dec 7, 2016, 11:35:14 AM12/7/16
to halifaxm...@googlegroups.com
Cool!  Attached is a Christmas tree.  The event is the following. BTW, anyone is welcome to drop in...

Deck the Creative Lab
Decorating with Tech

All ages
For the creative minds who always like a little tech in their winter decorations, let's Deck the Creative Lab with our creations. We have a buffet of high and low tech options for you to decorate or create things for the winter season. We could make LED holiday cards made with conductive tape for you to take home, 3D printed snowflakes to hang in the lab's windows, and any other special touches our creative minds can conjure up. Drop-in anytime!

Event location: Creative Lab

Saturday, December 10 | 2 - 4 p.m.

The library didn't get their greeting card supplies in time, so we offered to do acrylic ornaments instead.  One round base, svg attached, that will be reusable for any ornament.  There are two rectangles that the ornament will slot into.  We are aiming to do 20 or more.  It would be nice to have a few choices in a Christmas or other holiday or winter theme.  I have an xmas tree.  It might be good to have a snowflake or snowman.  The LEDs we have are solid white, flickering (candle) yellow and blinking red, if that helps to inform design choices.  Also, we have to consider how the single led would light everything.  A wreath, with the center cut out, for example, wouldn't light the top well, as the light wouldn't be able to get around the cutout.  And we would probably want engraving on the back, as that lights up well (with no engraving, it looks kind of bland).

Christmastree.svg shows the 2 tabs at the bottom and the rounded scoop out for the led between them (led sits above the base).  These can't change.  There also needs to be some "shoulder" to keep the tabs from going in too far, but the width of that shoulder can be pretty much anything.

The cut path needs to be vector, and a light color (width of stroke unimportant, as it just follows the path).  The engraving can be vector or bitmap, but needs to be darker than the cut path (the rastering just uses an adjustable theshold brightness value from 0 to 255 to set what gets engraved).  If using bitmap, the upper left hand corner of the bitmap should match the upper left hand of the vector cut line's bounding box, or the engraving won't align with the cutline, as happened with the attached photo.  The engraving is a single "color", no grayscale, though that presumably could be mimiced with halftone, if desired.  Engraving resolution is up to 500dpi in theory, but in fact, stuff melts together. Image should be reversed, if needed, as the engraving side will be the back.

Size should be in the neighborhood of 3 inches tall and up to 2 1/2 wide.  There needs to be a mm or more of white space all around the thing (the laser software will remove it automatically, but has trouble with images going to the edges).  Let me know if you use Illustrator, as that produces a file that needs to be tweaked a bit when I import it into Inkscape (not tweaking it makes it 67% of the desired size).

If you have any questions, let me know.

Best,

Shawn

On Wed, Dec 7, 2016 at 12:19 AM, Shawn Wilson <sh...@glassgiant.com> wrote:
[...]

FB_IMG_1481082426424.jpg

--

---

---

Real O'Neil

Dec 7, 2016, 9:42:13 PM12/7/16
to halifaxm...@googlegroups.com
Are these usable? Did them fairly quickly. Haven't been 100% today.

---

---
menorah.svg
sleigh2.svg

Shawn Wilson

Dec 8, 2016, 3:03:49 PM12/8/16
to halifaxm...@googlegroups.com
Hey Real,
Thanks! I might convert some of the sleigh interior cut lines to engraving, as the light doesn't bounce around well inside (as it would in a fibre optic cable).  They look great, but I'm a bit worried about light distribution. But I've only done two or three of these, so I'm no expert.  Probably, it would be easiest to try cutting them and see how they work.  I'll do that tonight and let you know.

Best,
Shawn

On Wed, Dec 7, 2016 at 12:34 PM, Shawn Wilson <sh...@glassgiant.com> wrote:
[...]

IMG_20161207_113025716.jpg

[...]

Shawn Wilson

Dec 8, 2016, 3:04:15 PM12/8/16
to halifaxm...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,
I meant to say this earlier: if anyone wants to volunteer to help with these ornaments, just let us know here, or email in...@halifaxmakerspace.org.  This Saturday, Central Library, 2-4pm.  We don't know how many to expect, unfortunately.  We have 2 or 3 volunteers already, so we aren't desperate for more, but if you feel like it, let us know.   Basically, it would just be talking to people about a simple circuit (battery and LED) and helping them fold LED leads and copper tape.  If we run out of ornaments, we might offer up cardstock, LEDs, copper tape and batteries to make cards.

Otherwise, feel free to drop in as a library patron!

---

---

---