Custom computer 'case'

Evan d'Entremont

Jun 10, 2016, 10:03:49 AM6/10/16
to halifaxm...@googlegroups.com
I got a graphics card that was too big for my case. Needed somewhere to hide the computer anyways, ended up turning the large drawer in my desk into a case.

Everything is mechanically constrained; only screws are on the pci card and fans.

Used a PCIe extender to mount the card sideways, and no performance issues for a single card (sli would fail with unshielded wire)

Exhaust fan out the back, filtered intake fan on the bottom. The drawer sits 6" over the ground so it shouldn't pick up too much dust.

Temps sitting around 35deg idle/browsing went up to 43 playing kerbsl with a large station at full graphics on a 3k display (better then HD)

Added desk grommets to get the cables in the back. Only issue so far is a few are too short to reach with the drawer out, but its high enough that I can connect then from underneath. Also my CPU fan was on full blast but that was just a missing external temp sensor from the original case.

Thinking I'll add a cover with power switch for better airflow, but so far so good.