Teeny left hand drill bits source

Shawn Wilson

Jun 26, 2017, 5:54:37 PM6/26/17
to halifaxm...@googlegroups.com
The needle thread tensioner screw on my wife's serger broke off and they don't seem to make replacements for it any more.  I think it's roughly 1/16 inch shaft, stainless, broken in a mild steel block.  It broke off maybe 1/16 into the block, so I can't really make a slot in the end without wrecking the seemingly irreplaceable block.  And it doesn't come out the back. I think my best hope is to find a tiny left hand drill bit and try to back it out.  Anyone know if there's a place to get these locally? 1/16 or smaller?

Broken screw is sitting on top of the block in the photo.  Little front-facing dot is the sticky wicket.

Or in case anyone knows of an obscure sewing machine parts supplier, these would make my life easier (White Speedylock Differential 1600):
Needle Clamp, White #141000364
Needle Mounting Screw, White #141000369

Chris McDonald

Jun 29, 2017, 9:28:38 PM6/29/17
to halifaxm...@googlegroups.com
Hey Shawn,

Does the broken off screw hold the block onto the shaft?

McMaster has left handed drills in small sizes:

I could do an order with my Discovery Centre account if they still don't ship to new Canadian customers. I'm sure there are a few small items I could order and we could split the shipping.  I'm off this week coming so I won't be back to the centre until July 8th.

--
Chris

--

---

Shawn Wilson

Jun 29, 2017, 9:39:13 PM6/29/17
to halifaxm...@googlegroups.com
Hey Chris,
It holds another part on that tensions the thread.  I was able to order a 5/64 easy out from Fastenal that should be in tomorrow.  I think it should be small enough, but I appreciate the offer!

Best,
Shawn