TIG welding a pinball ramp

Shawn Wilson

Aug 30, 2015, 3:25:28 PM8/30/15
to halifaxm...@googlegroups.com

Hi all,
Some Makerspace people are making a pinball machine for Hal-Con.  We have a wire cage bent and partially welded.  There are four wires joined with half rings.  The material is one eighth stainless rod.  Two rails were stick welded, but came out poorly.  Not such a big deal, as they're on the bottom and a lot of work with a Dremel will make it acceptable.  The top rails will be more visible though,  so I was hoping someone could volunteer a TIG and their skills for an hour or two to do the top rail and three mounting rods with stainless washers.  I can bring the bits to you.

Anyone able to help some pinballers out?

Allan Carver

Aug 31, 2015, 5:40:03 PM8/31/15
to halifaxm...@googlegroups.com

Hi Shawn,

I don't have a tig welder, but I can do stainless with my mig.

---

Shawn Wilson

Aug 31, 2015, 6:22:51 PM8/31/15
to halifaxm...@googlegroups.com

Hi Allan,
Fantastic! I know nothing about welding.  Can you/your mig likely weld 1 /8 stainless rod to 1/8 stainless rod without burning through it (I realize there are never any guarantees)?  I could provide a couple test pieces.  Would there be any consumables needed?  And when would you have time to do it?  I'm free most evenings and Saturdays.

Thanks,
Shawn

Allan Carver

Aug 31, 2015, 6:36:07 PM8/31/15
to halifaxm...@googlegroups.com

The size isn't an issue. I can do it any evening or on Saturday. I'm in Hubbards, so it's a bit of a drive. Maybe Saturday would be good.