Suggestions on fire retardant paints?

T.L. Chen

Nov 14, 2017, 10:06:47 PM11/14/17
to Halifax Makerspace
Hi,

I'm looking to build an enclosure for a 3d printer along with plywood shop cabinet for storing flammables.  I'll need some sort of retardant paint to coat the inside/outside (wood).  I was hoping someone here has already done such a thing and have an idea where I could even get my hands on it.  The standard box stores don't seem to sell such things.

Thanks,
Téa

Shawn Wilson

Nov 14, 2017, 10:25:28 PM11/14/17
to halifaxm...@googlegroups.com

You might want to call Beacon or Don Brenton's.  They may not carry it but might be able to point you to something.  There is something called FX Lumber Guard that's available in Canada for exterior applications, but I don't know much about it.

Failing that, Marcel just bought a metal brake and offered it up for those wanting to use it.  You might consider a metal cabinet.

--

---

Adam Smith

Nov 14, 2017, 11:04:56 PM11/14/17
to Halifax Makerspace
You can also buy fire rated plywood, I use it regularly at work. Rather expensive though, $60-70 for a 4x8 sheet.

T.L. Chen

Nov 16, 2017, 7:22:07 PM11/16/17
to Halifax Makerspace
Thanks for the pointers so far.