Brass rack replacement

Shawn Wilson

Jul 15, 2016, 8:52:54 PM7/15/16
to halifaxm...@googlegroups.com
I picked up an inspection microscope recently.  The brass rack has a number of worn away teeth.  I can't find a model number anywhere.  Spacing is roughly 8 or 9 teeth per cm.  What's the best way to fix this?  Ideas?

Chris McDonald

Jul 15, 2016, 10:22:40 PM7/15/16
to halifaxm...@googlegroups.com
You could build it back up with brazing and then manually cut new teeth with a file or even a hacksaw blade. You might even be able to get away with just using regular solder if your careful with it after the fix.

You might be able to use a tap to finish cut the new teeth if you can match the pitch and profile exactly.

The proper way to cut the teeth would be using a gear cutter on a milling machine. Its pretty much just a saw blade that has the right cutting teeth shape to cut the rack gear teeth.
--
Chris

On Fri, Jul 15, 2016 at 9:52 PM, Shawn Wilson <sh...@glassgiant.com> wrote:
I picked up an inspection microscope recently.  The brass rack has a number of worn away teeth.  I can't find a model number anywhere.  Spacing is roughly 8 or 9 teeth per cm.  What's the best way to fix this?  Ideas?

--

---

Shawn Wilson

Jul 16, 2016, 7:30:42 AM7/16/16
to halifaxm...@googlegroups.com

Thanks, Chris. I've not tried brazing before, but I'll look into it.  Where would I get brass brazing rods? Princess Auto?