Proposed project: tablesaw crosscut sled

Shawn Wilson

Dec 7, 2017, 9:32:55 AM12/7/17
to halifaxm...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,
As you may know, our old tablesaw died, and was replaced with a better one (thanks, Graham!).  Unfortunately, this means some of custom built accessories for the old saw no longer fit.

On Sunday, I would like to build a new cross cut sled.  If you're unfamiliar, a cross cut sled is a device for cutting across the grain of a board to ensure a square cut.  It is a safer,  easier, and more precise way of doing this than using a mitre gauge, which would typically be the next favored way of making cross cuts on a table saw.  Sleds also typically offer zero clearance around the blade, resulting in a cleaner cut.  Cross cut sleds typically give better cuts than mitre saws too.

Anyone wanting to participate in the design can suggest stuff here.  Anyone wanting to participate in the build, regardless of experience, can show up on Sunday (maybe make it known here if you're coming and when for planning purposes).

Caveat: sometimes we get so many visitors that it's hard for me to do a project during the open house.  If nobody says they're coming, I will do it during the open house or after, depending on how busy it is.  If anybody says they're in for a certain time Sunday, we will do it then.  I will help as my open house hosting duties allow, or if anyone is comfortable with the tools and techniques, you're welcome to take the lead (I want a cross cut sled, I don't care if I am the one who makes it).

Suggested Features:
Accurate (duh)
Dimensions: close to table saw width by 12-16"
Material: 3/4 MDF or ply, 3/4 ply for front and back fence, hardwood runners
Finish: paste wax
Back fence with hump in centre so it's hard to get thumbs over blade area. Maybe double thick over blade area too.
Back fence chamfered on bottom for sawdust allowance
Routed fence edges for comfort
Some method of hanging or storing when not in use

Adam Smith

Dec 7, 2017, 12:28:11 PM12/7/17
to Halifax Makerspace
I'll be around Sunday and can help with building. I'm also hoping to make a 45deg sled/jig for the router table.

Shawn Wilson

Dec 7, 2017, 12:30:43 PM12/7/17
to halifaxm...@googlegroups.com

Fantastic!

--

---

Peter-Frank Spierenburg

Peter-Frank Spierenburg

Dec 7, 2017, 1:35:24 PM12/7/17
to halifaxm...@googlegroups.com
Also, it might be cool to laser-etch instructions and safety tips onto the visible surfaces of the sled to help people use the thing safely.

Example: A semicircle around the blade slot in the back fence with some text like "Thumb free zone" maybe with some iconography.

Just my 2c.

Shawn Wilson

Adam Smith

Dec 7, 2017, 4:36:15 PM12/7/17
to Halifax Makerspace
I'll likely be there early and leave early

Shawn Wilson

Dec 7, 2017, 4:52:58 PM12/7/17
to halifaxm...@googlegroups.com

Ok, maybe we can work on the router sled early in the day and the tablesaw sled after the open house.

On Thu, Dec 7, 2017, 17:36 Adam Smith, <adam...@gmail.com> wrote:
I'll likely be there early and leave early

Peter-Frank Spierenburg

Shawn Wilson

Shawn Wilson

Feb 2, 2018, 5:48:06 PM2/2/18
to Halifax Makerspace
Just an update on this. I had to work on a project today that I needed a sled for, so I made it. It's out by 5 thou over about 3 ft, which is good enough for me. If anyone wants to make a sled, we could certainly use a 45 degree sled and maybe a variable angle one, if you're feeling ambitious. I cleaned the saw top and gave it a coat of paste wax, so the fence slides nicely now, which made it a lot easier to dial in the exact runner width. There is currently a brand new finishing blade on the saw that's a 8" (saw is 9"). I might still take it home, but we are working on sourcing some 9" blades.

Gerry Mcdonald

Feb 2, 2018, 5:59:43 PM2/2/18
to halifaxm...@googlegroups.com
Please remove me from this email list Shawn.

Unsubscribe is not valid.

Thanks

Regards
Gerry

Shawn Wilson

Feb 2, 2018, 6:07:26 PM2/2/18
to halifaxm...@googlegroups.com
Hi Gerry,
I think if you go to the link below you can choose "never update me by email".  It's a Google group, do I don't think I can remove you.  If it doesn't work, let me know and I will see if Adam can remove you somehow.

Best,
Shawn