Best 3D printer and 3D scanner?

Graham Judge

Jul 31, 2016, 11:46:56 AM7/31/16
to Halifax Makerspace
Hi everyone,
I'm now browsing around for a 3D printer and 3D scanner. Price should be $1500-2000 for the printer, probably less than $500 for the scanner.

I am more interested in bulletproof than modifiable, at least as far as current tech goes. The printer should have the capability to print items 10" wide at the largest dimension. It should have an auto levelling bed and capacity for dual extruder, although the Mosaic Palette looks like an interesting option. The scanner should be able to scan items of a similar dimension and a weight of six to eight pounds. Thoughts?

Graham

Jordan Vallis

Aug 23, 2016, 1:53:51 PM8/23/16
to Halifax Makerspace
Hi Graham,

Any luck figuring this out? I have nothing to add, but would definitely be interested in what you settled on for both. Most of my experience has been with either RepRap, which didn't go as well for our group as we would have hoped, and Makerbots (We had the 2X and Z18) which was a really positive experience, but the 2x isn't auto-leveling, and a bit out of that price range. We tried the Makerbot scanner, which was functional but I didn't really find worth the price, even using the usual tricks of colouring the piece being scanned to increase visibility to the sensor.

Jordan