PCB Preheater - does the makers space have this?

macdonaldtomw

Jan 27, 2015, 11:15:45 AM1/27/15
to halifaxm...@googlegroups.com
Hey all,

I'm in search of a pcb pre-heater (preferably convection).   I need to remove a 80 pin MLP package from it's breakout board:

To make matters worse, technically the modem is actually surface mounted on a smaller PCB, before being surface mounted onto the breakout board.

I have a hot air rework station, but because the GSM modem I'm trying to remove is like 2" by 2" with no leads, I haven't had any luck.  I'm thinking the only way I'm gonna get this IC off is by first preheating the board.

Thoughts?

-Tom

Shawn Wilson

Jan 27, 2015, 11:59:26 AM1/27/15
to halifaxm...@googlegroups.com
Out of my depth, but Instructables had a diy version from a heat gun a while back for <$50:

--

---

Shawn Wilson
@glassgiant