Cleaning a coin operated telescope

Shawn Wilson

Jul 1, 2016, 12:51:55 PM7/1/16
to halifaxm...@googlegroups.com
My father in law got an old coin operated telescope recently and was wondering if there are any businesses that would clean them, or failing that, does anyone know how he'd go about cleaning it himself?  It's for a cottage.

Evan d'Entremont

Jul 1, 2016, 10:14:40 PM7/1/16
to halifaxm...@googlegroups.com
I'd say compressed air, not sure you'd want to use any real cleaner on it. Would really depend what's in it, like if there's any gaskets that might deteriorate if you use solvents or whatnot.

--

---

Shawn Wilson

Jul 2, 2016, 7:47:04 AM7/2/16
to halifaxm...@googlegroups.com
It came with replacement o-rings.   The optics concern me the most. They seem to be smudged.  We'll try compressed air, but I suspect they'll need a more intensive cleaning.

Evan d'Entremont

Jul 2, 2016, 9:12:33 AM7/2/16
to halifaxm...@googlegroups.com
If the optics come out, a glasses store should be able to ultrasonically clean them

jarratt C

Jul 6, 2016, 6:06:15 AM7/6/16
to Halifax Makerspace
Try Stephen Loughran 902-497-8346. He services scientific and surgical equipment for Ophthalmologist, Optometrists and Opticians.

Shawn Wilson

Jul 6, 2016, 6:17:54 AM7/6/16
to Halifax Makerspace

Thanks!