Looking for: 5/8 - 27 threading die

Adam Smith

Jun 1, 2016, 8:47:16 AM6/1/16
to Halifax Makerspace
An odd size die, wondering if anyone would have a die of this size? This is the standard size thread for microphones and stands.

Evan d'Entremont

Jun 1, 2016, 9:45:11 AM6/1/16
to halifaxm...@googlegroups.com
My kit doesn't (the big mastercraft maximum one)

Those reek of industry lock in.. Whenever I've needed one I've bought a crappy mount at dollarama and grafted it on to something.

--

---

Shawn Wilson

Jun 1, 2016, 10:00:35 AM6/1/16
to Halifax Makerspace
You might want to consider getting a 1/4-20 to 5/8-27 adapter for $5 at Bestbuy, depending on your application.  1/4-20 will be a much easier die to find.

You can get 5/8 27 for $7 from China on eBay.  Or if you want it now, you can try Transworld (you're best to call them).   IIRC, they sell individual taps and dies.

On Wed, Jun 1, 2016 at 9:47 AM Adam Smith <adam...@gmail.com> wrote:
An odd size die, wondering if anyone would have a die of this size? This is the standard size thread for microphones and stands.

Chris McDonald

Jun 1, 2016, 10:17:42 AM6/1/16
to halifaxm...@googlegroups.com
Its not so much an industry lock in as the right thread for the job. Its been a defacto standard for a very long time. Interesting that it isn't a standard thread. 5/8-24 is the standard ultra fine thread.

If you don't have any luck finding a die and the 1/4-20 thread adapter won't work. I could try turning the thread on my lathe. I haven't done much threading but doing a mic stand thread seems like a good challenge.

Adam Smith

Jun 1, 2016, 10:33:38 PM6/1/16
to Halifax Makerspace
Thanks, I'll try looking for an adaptor. Are you aware that best buy does sell them Shawn?

Shawn Wilson

Jun 2, 2016, 6:15:35 AM6/2/16
to Halifax Makerspace

I know they sell 5/8 27 to 1/4 20 on their site (sometimes they sell stuff only online) but I am not sure if the male/female direction is right for what you want to do.