Director bios

Shawn Wilson

Aug 24, 2017, 12:17:28 AM8/24/17
to Halifax Makerspace
Hi all,
As you know, our AGM is Wed, August 30.  We have three open director spots, to be elected then.  But we thought we would give you a heads up on who is running so you're not going in blind.  Though we are sending bios of those who submitted them, any Core member who is paid up can put their names forward as late as the AGM.

Marcel is a semi-retired Professional Mechanical Engineer and a retired Canadian Army Reserves officer. Marcel has many years of experience in home repairs/improvement, woodworking, leatherworking and sewing. Recently he has begun building his own bee hives and other beekeeping equipment including being a member of the Halifax Honey Bee Society core group and recently conducting a workshop for the Society on assembling bee hives.
Marcel hopes to bring his project/program management experience and his hands on skills to the Halifax Makerspace in order to help us grow and make the best use of our new facilities.

Hi! I'm Sandy Walsh and I'm running for a director position with the Makerspace. Perhaps the best way to learn about me is to look at my various social media links:

My software development company: darksecretsoftware.com
My software development blog: sandywalsh.com
My maker project blog: sandymakes.org
Twitter: @TheSandyWalsh
Linked-in: linkedin.com/in/sandywalsh
Code repo: github.com/sandywalsh
Some of my maker youtube videos:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwN3kqEekZ14rSxnQTzBNTQ/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

In addition to my consulting company I work for planet.com, which is a company in SF that designs, builds and manages the largest fleet of earth imaging cube satellites in the world. We take photos of the entire earth every day. Super large scale computing stuff. Previously I was one of the early developers on the OpenStack cloud effort.

My interests: electronics, robotics, programming, cooking, board
games, hiking, kayaking, mountain biking, home renovations ...
everything hands-on. More importantly, I have a strong business
background and I think I can bring a lot of fiscal security and
regiment to the Halifax Makerspace.

Tom Servaes

Aug 24, 2017, 1:55:13 AM8/24/17
to Halifax Makerspace
Woops, missed the deadline. Here's my bio. Hope to see as many of you as possible on the 30th!

===
Tom Servaes is an educator of schoolchildren and a continual learner. He lives in Bedford with his son, Kyle. Tom's prior career of 20 years was in IT, from programming to management to consulting. In 2014, he helped launch the Halifax Tool Library through grunt work like building shelves and registering tool donations, but also through leading a full day vision workshop to help the volunteer board clarify member expectations. Tom completed the Halifax Volunteer Services leadership training and the Groundwork course as part of his training in the Art of Hosting. He has been a regular board member of similar volunteer-run organisations as well as several terms as an officer. Tom would like to help Halifax Makerspace with the next step in growing and developing the organisation for the benefit of the members.

Tom strongly advocates self-directed learning by doing. He hopes to help people achieve their potential, at their own pace.
===

Kind regards,
Tom
Profile photo TSR.jpg