cutting 1/16 stainless steel

Shawn Wilson

Aug 16, 2015, 1:45:53 PM8/16/15
to halifaxm...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,
I have a 2' long piece of stainless sheet.  It seems to be about 1/16, or maybe just shy of it.  I want to cut 2' strips 1 1/8" wide for the Makerspace pinball project.  I don't suppose anyone would have a shear or some other method for cutting 1 1/8 strips from it and could spare a bit of shop time?

Shawn

--
Shawn Wilson
@glassgiant

Allan Carver

Aug 18, 2015, 7:29:27 AM8/18/15
to halifaxm...@googlegroups.com

Hi Shawn,

I usually use a cutting wheel on an angle grinder to cut stainless. But if ask the guys at Metals R Us in Burnside, they probably shear your metal for you.

---

Shawn Wilson

Aug 18, 2015, 9:13:08 AM8/18/15
to halifaxm...@googlegroups.com

Hi Allan,
Thanks.  I need 2' long perfectly straight cuts, and I don't trust my hand on the angle grinder.  I don't work with metal often. I wonder if I could mount it somehow so I could feed it through like a table saw?

I bought the piece from Metals R Us.  I wish I'd planned better. :) I'll take it back there if I can't figure out the angle grinder.

Shawn

Chris McDonald

Aug 18, 2015, 10:23:17 AM8/18/15
to halifaxm...@googlegroups.com
Hey Shawn,

Clamping a piece of steel angle to the stainless as a guide will help get a straighter cut. You can then clamp it on the line and clean the cut up with a good sharp coarse file followed with a fine file. A scotch brite wheel might  give it a nice brushed finish.

Depending on how hard the stainless is I may be able to clean up a cut on my milling machine. Some stainless is really hard and a file may have trouble removing the material. It will just kinda bounce along the surface. If its that hard I won't be able to do anything on the milling machine either as I don't have any carbide end mills.

--
Chris

Shawn Wilson

Aug 18, 2015, 10:47:36 AM8/18/15
to halifaxm...@googlegroups.com
Hi Chris,
Are you saying the grinding disc would ride against the angle steel, or would part of the grinder's casing ride against it?

I'm not sure how hard the piece is, but thanks, I'll keep your offer in mind when I go to file it.

Do you know if this would cut it?  I've been thinking of getting an air nibbler or electric shear for a while, but I'm assuming it wouldn't cut stainless.

Thanks,
Shawn
Shawn Wilson
@glassgiant

Chris McDonald

Aug 18, 2015, 10:59:53 AM8/18/15
to halifaxm...@googlegroups.com
I don't think that would cut it. For me its easier to cut a straight line with a grinder than that thing but those are great for cutting curves.

Ride the guard or body of the grinder along the angle iron. Scribe a nice easy to see line. Maybe even take a sharpie and black the steel first, then scribe through the sharpie line to get more contrast. Take your time and cut slightly wide then draw file to the line.

This guy has some great metalworking tips on his youtube channel:

He is a bit slow but youtubes new play speed feature can help. I usually watch his videos at 1.5 times the normal speed.

The videos on files and cutting sheet metal may be the most relevant.

--
Chris

Shawn Wilson

Aug 18, 2015, 11:04:04 AM8/18/15
to halifaxm...@googlegroups.com
I didn't think so. :(

Thanks, I'll check out those videos.  I'm pretty useless with metal.

Allan Carver

Aug 19, 2015, 11:55:20 PM8/19/15
to halifaxm...@googlegroups.com

If you bought the metal at Metals R Us, they'll cut it for you no problem.  Only take a second and you'll get perfect cuts.

Shawn Wilson

Aug 20, 2015, 5:50:53 AM8/20/15
to halifaxm...@googlegroups.com

Thanks, I'll check into that, though it's been a while.