Free player piano

Shawn Wilson

Jan 30, 2018, 12:30:49 PM1/30/18
to Halifax Makerspace
This seems like a golden opportunity for some lucky maker.  A free player piano, in somewhat rough shape.

Shawn Wilson

Jan 30, 2018, 12:47:32 PM1/30/18
to halifaxm...@googlegroups.com
Just spit balling: would anyone be interested in this as our big group project: see if we can get the piano, if we can, maybe use solenoids to mimic the holes/lack of holes in the paper, so we can control it with an arduino or similar?  Maybe make a "robot" sitting at a piano bench to mimic playing it as a stretch goal?

--

---

Allan Carver

Jan 30, 2018, 12:56:36 PM1/30/18
to halifaxm...@googlegroups.com
I saw this years ago. Food for thought:

Shawn Wilson

Jan 30, 2018, 1:01:22 PM1/30/18
to halifaxm...@googlegroups.com
Wow, that's awesome!

Tom Servaes

Jan 30, 2018, 1:21:10 PM1/30/18
to halifaxm...@googlegroups.com
Sounds like a great project to learn a lot of different things. Personally, I've always been interested to do something based on MIDI.

"3/4 of keys work" is a bit concerning to me, but it might be the mechanism, not the piano itself, in which case that would be fine for us.

I'm in! Time to build that ramp to the front door so we can roll it into the space ;-)

Tom

On Tue, Jan 30, 2018 at 2:01 PM, Shawn Wilson <sh...@glassgiant.com> wrote:
Wow, that's awesome!

On Jan 30, 2018, at 1:47 PM, Shawn Wilson <sh...@glassgiant.com> wrote:

Just spit balling: would anyone be interested in this as our big group project: see if we can get the piano, if we can, maybe use solenoids to mimic the holes/lack of holes in the paper, so we can control it with an arduino or similar?  Maybe make a "robot" sitting at a piano bench to mimic playing it as a stretch goal?

On Tue, Jan 30, 2018 at 1:30 PM Shawn Wilson <sh...@halifaxmakerspace.org> wrote:
This seems like a golden opportunity for some lucky maker.  A free player piano, in somewhat rough shape.

--

---

---

---

---

Tom Servaes

There's a war going on for your mind. If you're thinking, you're winning.

cell:902-449-4555
mailto:tom.s...@gmail.com

"The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place." – George Bernard Shaw
"Everything is vague to a degree you do not realize till you have tried to make it precise." – Bertrand Russell

Allan Carver

Jan 30, 2018, 1:24:30 PM1/30/18
to halifaxm...@googlegroups.com
What if we made the final product mobile? Make a robot playing the piano, as Shawn suggested, and we attach the piano bench to the piano to make one big unit and put wheelchair motors on it and drive it around. I can get my hands on wheelchair or scooter motors.

Bill Morrow

Jan 30, 2018, 2:52:31 PM1/30/18
to Halifax Makerspace
On Tuesday, 30 January 2018 14:21:10 UTC-4, Tom Servaes wrote:

I'm in! Time to build that ramp to the front door so we can roll it into the space ;-)

 More like time to get a bigger space!

Tom Servaes

Feb 2, 2018, 2:13:12 PM2/2/18
to halifaxm...@googlegroups.com
Yes, Bill, that too. If the current rate our membership is increasing holds, that's definitely in the cards.

Kudos to whoever thought of moving to Bedford Trade Mart. Expanding will be a lot easier there than on the peninsula.

---

Shawn Wilson

Feb 5, 2018, 6:26:49 AM2/5/18
to halifaxm...@googlegroups.com

Alas, someone has taken the player piano.  At least now we don't have to decide whether or not to take it. :)

We are still looking for a fun, large group project, though.  If you're interested in participating, suggest something, or make your interest in one of the projects already suggested known so we can start paring them down!