mini arcade cabinet - call for art

Shawn Wilson

Feb 17, 2017, 5:37:09 PM2/17/17
to Halifax Makerspace
Hi all,
At the end of March, we'll have a drop in at the library, teaching people Intro to Arduino, and how to hook up a joystick and little oled screen (no experience necessary, age 13+, see Facebook or Meetup for more details).  The sample project is a video game.  I will laser cut or make by hand the attached mini cabinet.  It's about 6" tall.

I was wondering if anyone wanted to volunteer to make some art for the sides and/or marquee?  I will probably print the sides with a laser or inkjet printer on paper and spray adhere them (unless someone can suggest a better cheap/free method).  Marquee will be either water slide decal or transparency. Game is to be decided, and may change from time to time, so probably it would be best to keep it somewhat generic, but with the HMS logo somewhere.

I would like to make this build into a YouTube video and an Instructable for the makerspace's channels, so a bit of video or screen capture of the art creation would be great, but not required (with or without the artist in the shot, as desired).

This will have to be done for end of March at the latest, but I'd prefer to have it finished for next weekend, as that's when we are doing our next Arduino drop-in (sample project: light theremin).  I'd like to have this complete to show as a preview to attract people for the March drop-in, but previewing it without art is okay.

If anyone is interested, let me know and I'll send you SVGs of the side and marquee, or if anyone is interested in hand painting it, I can give you the cabinet once it's created.  My backup plan is to leave it a flat color, with a simple text marquee, so no worries if nobody is interested or they are unable to complete it.

Details (subject to change): 1/4" wood for the sides, 1/8 wood for every else, except the screen and marquee, which will be .06" acrylic.  Screen will be color 1.44" TFT LED.  Hole is for a joystick (with integrated button).  Marquee will be lighted.  Might add a button. Not sure, there's not much room.  Will probably add a power switch to the back, and maybe a barrel jack to the back.  Maybe a speaker/volume pot if I get super ambitious.

mini_cabinet.png

Real O'Neil

Mar 10, 2017, 4:07:30 PM3/10/17
to halifaxm...@googlegroups.com
Sorry, just saw this. Might be able to vector something quick when I get back from Clare Sunday night.

Any theme in mind?

--

---

Shawn Wilson

Mar 10, 2017, 4:26:30 PM3/10/17
to halifaxm...@googlegroups.com
No worries. We had someone volunteer already. :)

---

Real O'Neil