Group Project: Millennium Falcon

Adam Cox

Apr 14, 2018, 5:11:44 PM4/14/18
to Halifax Makerspace
The group project thread seems to have distilled down to creating a Millennium Falcon. Last week Tom and I got started with some brainstorming. I bought a scale model kit of the Falcon so we would have a good reference to work from. We talked about what size would be appropriate for the build. The biggest we can go and still have it a reasonable size for storage and transport is just under 6 feet in length. So our model will be just a bit bigger than the one used in the original filming. We are leaning towards wood, plastic, and foam for building materials. We have experience with those materials and the tools at the space for working with them. We are thinking of modelling it first in Fusion 360. By starting with CAD files of an internal frame system we will be able to prototype things in cardboard first using the laser cutter and then eventually move to having the Maslow CNC cut out thin plywood frame pieces. There is going to be lots of areas to help out. Initially we are going to have to model the various parts. We will also need to be thinking about a motorized cart to mount the Falcon to. Eventually we will be adding lights and other effects. So if you are a member and interested in any part of the build you should come join us on Saturday nights. I'm heading to the space in just a few minutes to get back to work on this.

Cheers,
Adam

IMG_3377.jpg
IMG_3376.jpg