Small group project: video monitor for smelly room

Bill Morrow

Feb 13, 2018, 9:34:35 PM2/13/18
to Halifax Makerspace
As you may know, running the 2.4GHz video monitor of the laser cutter interferes with wifi. So we have been looking for a better solution.

While rummaging through boxes looking for a 2mm pitch female IDC connector (no luck!), I came across an analog video camera. So I put a plug on a 9v wall wart, and tested it connected to the laser monitor TV. It worked fine, very nice picture quality.

The camera needs a case, someone want to take that on? Then, installation to watch the laser cutter smoke along.

I put the camera and power supply in the parts box labelled RCA connectors in the yellow room.

Shawn Wilson

Feb 13, 2018, 9:51:14 PM2/13/18
to halifaxm...@googlegroups.com
Sweet! And the RCA splitter I ordered  came today, so we can get picture in the front room and yellow room.

--

---

Peter-Frank Spierenburg

Shawn Wilson

Bill Morrow

Feb 14, 2018, 8:17:34 AM2/14/18
to Halifax Makerspace
Out of the box, the camera "requires some assembly". I should've taken a picture. It's two circuit boards and a CCD/lens assembly. At the least, hot glue it to a scrap of plywood. :)

I am not sure where the black RCA connector goes. It might be audio? I connected the yellow RCA and power only, and got good video on the TV.

Adam Smith

Feb 14, 2018, 8:35:19 AM2/14/18
to Halifax Makerspace
Probably not twitch, I've seen similar things shut down for tos violation, namely for 3D printers

Shawn Wilson

Feb 14, 2018, 2:58:32 PM2/14/18
to halifaxm...@googlegroups.com
I like the idea of some kind of webcam, regardless of streaming service.  In the meantime, I made a case for the camera Bill found based on Adafruit's Pi case on Thingiverse.  Some of the tabs broke when I tried to assemble it (tolerances too tight), but I applied a little tape and I think it'll be fine.  The lens still needs to be screwed tight and fastened to the case (hot glue?).  It's hooked up in the yellow room for now.  Once complete, it can replace the 2.4GHz cam and a feed can be run to the front room and another to the yellow (I put the RCA splitter in the box marked RCA cables in the yellow room).

Btw, it's a neat little camera.  Just using analog video now, but it has a button, mic, and a built in SD card by the look of it.  And there appears to be a phototransistor pair for some reason.  Not sure what it was originally used for.

 If anyone wants the case file let me know.  Otherwise, I will eventually make a v2 if it would be useful.

On Wed, Feb 14, 2018, 09:35 Adam Smith, <adam...@gmail.com> wrote:
Probably not twitch, I've seen similar things shut down for tos violation, namely for 3D printers

--

---

Tom Servaes

Shawn Wilson

Bill Morrow

Feb 14, 2018, 7:19:53 PM2/14/18
to Halifax Makerspace
On Wednesday, 14 February 2018 16:20:41 UTC-4, Shawn Wilson wrote:
Btw, it's a neat little camera.  Just using analog video now, but it has a button, mic, and a built in SD card by the look of it.  And there appears to be a phototransistor pair for some reason.  Not sure what it was originally used for.

Shawn, any clue as to what type of camera this is? Maybe we can find the original case as a model.

Tom Servaes

Feb 14, 2018, 8:02:48 PM2/14/18
to halifaxm...@googlegroups.com
Actually, Shawn's box design is quite nice. The snap levers just have to be fine tuned.

Tom

--

---

Shawn Wilson

Bill Morrow

Feb 19, 2018, 5:44:16 PM2/19/18
to Halifax Makerspace
Saw the case today, it looks great. I put a bit of strain relief up near the ceiling, using the materials at hand. I'm sure it can be improved, if someone knows of better materials. ;)

On Wednesday, 14 February 2018 21:41:47 UTC-4, Shawn Wilson wrote:
I think the case is pretty close to good, though.

Shawn Wilson

Feb 19, 2018, 6:29:01 PM2/19/18
to halifaxm...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, that was irking me, but I was in a rush to get home.  I meant to update this thread: the wireless camera has been replaced with the one Bill found. I made an RCA splitter when the one I ordered from China was the wrong type.  There are cables running through the ceiling to the monitor in the front room and the big monitor in the yellow room.  I made a quick ugly adjustable mount for it.  I am going to consider it done, but if anyone does want to modify it or replace it with a Raspi cam or whatever, have at it.

Shawn