Suggestions for removing broken snap ring

Téa Chen

May 10, 2018, 11:34:42 AM5/10/18
to Halifax Makerspace
We've got a wind vane that was rusted through.  A snap ring that was holding the blade assembly in place has snapped.  Has anyone else had to deal with removing broken rings?

Thanks,
Téa

Shawn Wilson

May 10, 2018, 11:55:47 AM5/10/18
to halifaxm...@googlegroups.com
I'm not sure I'm picturing it correctly.  If a snap ring breaks, doesn't it just fall off?

--

---

Allan Carver

May 10, 2018, 1:39:13 PM5/10/18
to halifaxm...@googlegroups.com
Can you upload a photo? I’m sure I can help you with it.

Téa Chen

May 10, 2018, 6:57:02 PM5/10/18
to Halifax Makerspace
I've had rings snap and fall off like Shawn suggested, but this time, the left pincer ring just fell right off when I got near it with the pliers.  It's still got enough of the curve to hold it in place.
IMG_20180510_194525.jpg

Shawn Wilson

May 10, 2018, 7:01:13 PM5/10/18
to halifaxm...@googlegroups.com
Maybe Dremel it in half?

Allan Carver

May 10, 2018, 7:43:20 PM5/10/18
to halifaxm...@googlegroups.com
A little shot of penetrating fluid and pointy chisel should do the trick. Are you going to be home tomorrow? I can swing by with all the stuff and we’ll just get it done.

Téa Chen

May 11, 2018, 9:13:15 AM5/11/18
to Halifax Makerspace
I'll be home, out back working on the yard.  Thanks!

On Thursday, May 10, 2018 at 8:43:20 PM UTC-3, Allan Carver wrote:
A little shot of penetrating fluid and pointy chisel should do the trick. Are you going to be home tomorrow? I can swing by with all the stuff and we’ll just get it done.

On May 10, 2018, at 8:01 PM, Shawn Wilson <sh...@glassgiant.com> wrote:

Maybe Dremel it in half?

On Thursday, May 10, 2018 at 2:39:13 PM UTC-3, Allan Carver wrote:
Can you upload a photo? I’m sure I can help you with it.

---

---

Téa Chen

May 11, 2018, 9:14:00 AM5/11/18
to Halifax Makerspace
I think we'll that plan B but I don't have a Dremel right now.

Shawn Wilson

May 11, 2018, 9:19:44 AM5/11/18
to halifaxm...@googlegroups.com
I think Allan's chisel idea is better anyway, assuming it's his chisel. :) #chiselabuse

Chris McDonald

Shawn Wilson

May 11, 2018, 9:43:36 AM5/11/18
to halifaxm...@googlegroups.com
I think I've been caught out on my woodworking bias. :)

Téa Chen

May 11, 2018, 10:41:49 AM5/11/18
to Halifax Makerspace
That just means we need to expand and have space to do metalworking too ;)