Raspberry Pi3 - laggy

George Peverill

Nov 9, 2017, 7:01:06 AM11/9/17
to Halifax Makerspace
Just wondering two things, when is the next open house? I think there was one on Nov 4 but we missed it and want to try to get in for the next one.

Unrelated, just got a new rPi3 and after realising it's very finicky about power supplies the first night, the next day I broke down and bought a proper 2.5A supply. I had a Lexar Class 10 16gb card and popped Raspbian Wheezy on it but I found performance dismal (lots of menu freezing and keyboard stalling). I took a similar card out of my phone this morning and slapped on Wheezy (Lexar 32gb class 10) and it seems quite a bit better. Is the Pi 3 extremely reliant on the SD card speed? I was hoping to see someone else's Pi 3 doing similar tasks and see how it seems.

Peter-Frank Spierenburg

Nov 9, 2017, 8:18:07 AM11/9/17
to halifaxm...@googlegroups.com
Greetings George,

We have open house every Tuesday from 6pm-10pm.

RPi performance is indeed very dependent on SD card speed. The whole OS, all your applications, and all their configuration and document files are stored on that card, so it can be a bottle neck. You mention that you are using a Class 10 card, which on the face of it sounds pretty fast. However, SD cards are rated by their performance for photos and video which require long serial reads and writes (like videocassette). This means that manufacturers will often sacrifice the performance of random reads and writes (think fast-forward or rewinding to get to your favourite scene) in order to achieve a higher class.

What does all this mean? I'd recommend doing some research online to find the card which best matches your RPi performance/price point. I've personally had good experiences with SanDisk, their class-4 cards tend to be fairly inexpensive and relatively quick in my RPi.

Most of all, don't expect your RPi to rival your laptop or desktop computer with their super fast hard disks, or even a tablet or phone which have dedicated storage hardware.

Hope that helps, and hope to see you on Tuesday!

Peter.

--

---

Shawn Wilson

Nov 9, 2017, 9:27:37 AM11/9/17
to halifaxm...@googlegroups.com

Next Open House is Sunday, 1-5pm, but I believe Peter won't be at that one.  He's likely your best best to talk RPi. :)

---

Bill Morrow

Nov 11, 2017, 2:04:26 PM11/11/17
to Halifax Makerspace
On Thursday, 9 November 2017 09:18:07 UTC-4, Peter-Frank Spierenburg wrote:
Greetings George,

We have open house every Tuesday from 6pm-10pm.

RPi performance is indeed very dependent on SD card speed.

The Pi 3 is capable of booting on an attached USB hard drive. That might be faster.

I have not tried this myself, because it is still experimental, and also requires a permanent change to the setting imbedded in the SOC chip of the Pi 3. You can't go back to running off the SD card. I don't have a spare Pi 3!

George Peverill

Nov 11, 2017, 5:07:01 PM11/11/17
to halifaxm...@googlegroups.com
Going to try to make it in for the open house tomorrow. I grabbed a 32GB lexar out of my phone (also Class 10) seems worlds better. Think I'm going to get a 32gb Samsung Evo+ eventually, from what I read they are the bees knees. I have Retropie running fairly well now, hoping someone has recommendations for good cards that are cheap (probably mutually exclusive).

--

---

George Peverill
Bryden Financing & Auto Sales Inc.