Ninjaflex ready printing

Curtis Raynor

Apr 13, 2016, 5:28:44 PM4/13/16
to Halifax Makerspace
Is anyone in HRM geared up, or eager to gear up, for printing with ninjaflex?  As I understand, some printers require a bit a modification to use the filament.

Any takers, let me know.

Baha Baydar

Apr 13, 2016, 6:07:46 PM4/13/16
to halifaxm...@googlegroups.com

I should be able to print with it, but I haven't tried it yet.

--

---

Baha Baydar

Apr 13, 2016, 10:23:16 PM4/13/16
to halifaxm...@googlegroups.com

As a follow up...

Does anyone know a good Canadian source to order a test sample of ninja flex?

Evan d'Entremont

Apr 13, 2016, 10:25:26 PM4/13/16
to halifaxm...@googlegroups.com

Baha Baydar

Apr 13, 2016, 11:12:45 PM4/13/16
to halifaxm...@googlegroups.com
Voxelfactory only has Flamingo PINK in stock. :-P
Baha Baydar
bba...@gmail.com

Peter-Frank Spierenburg

Apr 14, 2016, 11:27:07 AM4/14/16
to halifaxm...@googlegroups.com
Thor3D has most of the colours in stock, not cheap though.

http://www.thor3d.ca/mbstore/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=29_33&zenid=5o9g36e385ce7vjnl785r32or2

Sadly, I haven't been able to find a 'sample pack'. Its hard to justify dropping $60 on a spool if you don't know how it will interact with your printer.

Baha Baydar

Apr 14, 2016, 7:19:17 PM4/14/16
to halifaxm...@googlegroups.com
There's a seller on Amazon.ca that has 175g for $13, but $10 shipping. :-(

--

---

Baha Baydar
bba...@gmail.com

Nathan Ryan

Apr 15, 2016, 9:03:48 AM4/15/16
to Halifax Makerspace
I'd be happy to loan a roll of Ninjaflex to anyone who wants to test it out - we can just weight it before it goes, and weight it when it returns, just pay for the material you've used.  I only have black right now, though.

If you have a E3D V5 or similar hotend you should do okay as long as you keep it slow.  the key is to minimize the open distance between the extruder gear and the intake for the hotend, else you get the filament buckling from back pressure.  And, print slow.  If you want to get into it seriously you'd have to look at printing a new extruder designed for flexibles, probably.  Gyrobot is a great source of info, and he's very approachable if you have specific questions: http://www.thingiverse.com/Gyrobot/about

Cheers,
Nathan

Baha Baydar

Apr 15, 2016, 3:29:14 PM4/15/16
to halifaxm...@googlegroups.com

Can I buy 5 or 10 meters from you to play with? I don't have anything in mind that needs it, but I'm sure I can find something online.

My extruder is a direct drive mk9, so no tubes to worry about.

Curtis Raynor

Apr 16, 2016, 4:05:27 PM4/16/16
to Halifax Makerspace
Awesome guys!

Nathan, that would be fantastic if I can try it out before getting my own roll.  I'll send you a private.  Baha, depending on when I'm able to get a hold of the roll, what's a good time to get together?

Baha Baydar

Apr 16, 2016, 7:13:39 PM4/16/16
to halifaxm...@googlegroups.com

Most evenings this week should be good. I'll reply to your other email and work out the details.

Baha Baydar

Apr 18, 2016, 8:42:48 PM4/18/16
to halifaxm...@googlegroups.com
Ninjaflex printing was a success! Very cool material to print with.

Glad I was able to help out.
--
Baha Baydar
bba...@gmail.com