June updates, members meeting, upcoming workshops

Shawn Wilson

Jun 18, 2018, 10:25:51 PM6/18/18
to halifaxm...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,
This is the June newsletter.  If you aren't subscribed, you might want to consider it.  Of special note, our regularly scheduled July 1 open house and associate time has been moved to June 28 to avoid the holiday.  Sorry for any inconvenience! Also, there are lots of exciting courses and events scheduled!

Hey Makers!

This is your reminder that tomorrow is the 3rd Tuesday of the month and therefore we will be having our Member's Meeting at 7pm. Then at 7:30pm we will head over to Off Track Brewing to drink beer and chat about projects.

One of the topics of discussion might be the educational recycling robot project we are taking on for the Waste Resource Education Office of Solid Waste Resources Halifax. You can catch up on the discussion over on the Google Group https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=&hl=en#!topic/halifaxmakerspace/MCJvMkSG7C8 and also plan to come out to our next project meeting on June 26th at 6pm.

We have been getting into the swing of things with our workshop offerings so our calendar has been much more full lately. For Core Members if you are heading into the space it would be good to check to make sure the Carpentry Shop or Electronics room aren't booked off for a workshop. Just take a look for events marked with * Workshop * on the calendar on our website https://halifaxmakerspace.org/#get-involved , and as an added bonus you can see the other events we have going on.

Here are the workshops that we have up on the calendar right now:

Make and Take: Condiments CaddyThursday, June 21 - 7pm-9pm
Cost: $40 + $3.45 (Members pay $25 + $2.39 fee)

Registar at: https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/make-and-take-condiments-caddy-tickets-46908428372

Build your own handy condiments caddy for BBQ parties!

Learn to use the table saw, drill press, the router table and bench and hand sanders. Apply your skills immediately and make a condiments caddy that’s yours to take home.

Make and Take: A Sturdy BirdhouseSunday, June 24 - 7pm-9pm
Cost: $40 + $3.45 (Members pay $25 + $2.39 fee)

Register at: https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/make-and-take-a-sturdy-birdhouse-tickets-46887793653

Turn a 4 foot board into a sturdy birdhouse!

Learn woodworking skills with power tools and use your new skills on the spot. Build a sturdy birdhouse yourself and choose what type of bird will be able to nest in there. Optionally finish with milk paint or boiled linseed oil.

3D Printing: 101Thursday, July 5 - 7pm-9pm
Cost: details soon

Register at: Eventbrite link will be on our calendar soon

If you don't know much, or anything at all, about 3d printing but are curious about it then this workshop is for you. We will cover what 3d printing is and the types of printing that exist. We will dip our toes into some options for 3d modelling. We will talk about recommendations for your first printer. And likely of most interest to HMS members we will go do a full breakdown of our in-house printer so you will have all the info you need to start printing on a regular basis.

Open House As always we are open twice weekly for the public to come check out the space.
Tuesdays 6-10pm
Sundays 1-5pm

Of note is the upcoming Canada Day holiday in just under two weeks. We will be CLOSED on Sunday, July 1 but will open from 6-10pm on Thursday, June 28th instead.

Halifax Public Libraries workshopsWe are continuing with our monthly offerings in partnership with the Halifax Public Libraries at the Central and Bedford locations. Here is what is coming up for June and July.

Drop-In for Makers & Coders: Smart CoastersSunday, June 24th 2-4pm
Central Library - 2nd Floor Creative Lab
Details at: https://halifax.bibliocommons.com/events/5aa0047054d87c2f00f0b2bb

Drop-In for Makers & Coders: TV-Be-GoneSaturday, July 14th 2-4pm
Bedford Public Library
Details at: https://halifax.bibliocommons.com/events/5aedf4253f3e9525004ed466

Sunday, July 29th 2-4pm
Central Library - 2nd Floor Creative Lab
Details at: https://halifax.bibliocommons.com/events/5aef468e84c8ed43000b3365

Coming a bit later...We are still putting details together for a Spring Cleaning/Organize the Makerspace day. Keep an eye out for more info.