Anyone know what this fitting is called?

Evan d'Entremont

Mar 30, 2016, 6:52:58 PM3/30/16
to halifaxm...@googlegroups.com
Restoring an air compressor, starting to get parts in from China. Decided this needs replacing too (corrosion and some play) but can't seem to google it. The male side is 1/4" haven't measured the female side.

Baha Baydar

Mar 30, 2016, 7:00:52 PM3/30/16
to halifaxm...@googlegroups.com

Take a run over to Princess Auto, they're got a pile of NPT adapters.

--

---

Evan d'Entremont

Mar 30, 2016, 7:02:04 PM3/30/16
to halifaxm...@googlegroups.com
thx will do

Chris McDonald

Mar 30, 2016, 7:03:06 PM3/30/16
to halifaxm...@googlegroups.com
What/where does it connect on the compressor?

Looks like a pipe with a flange connector on one side and MPT on the other.

Are the threads tapered?

Is that an o-ring inside?

Does the "nut" turn freely?

Do you have a set of thread gauges?

Evan d'Entremont

Mar 30, 2016, 7:06:29 PM3/30/16

On Wed, Mar 30, 2016, 8:03 PM Chris McDonald <lord...@gmail.com> wrote:
What/where does it connect on the compressor?

Pressure switch to tank.

Looks like a pipe with a flange connector on one side and MPT on the other.

Are the threads tapered?

Yes definetly NPT on the male side.

Is that an o-ring inside?

That's a circle of rust inside.

Does the "nut" turn freely?

One direction. Jams up a bit in the other.

Do you have a set of thread gauges?

No

Chris McDonald

Mar 30, 2016, 7:15:09 PM3/30/16
to halifaxm...@googlegroups.com
Are you replacing the pressure switch? Most replacements will just have female pipe thread inlet, so you just use a short section of pipe with 1/4" pipe thread on each end.

That part looks like a custom fitting for the pressure switch.

Evan d'Entremont

Mar 30, 2016, 7:17:26 PM3/30/16
to halifaxm...@googlegroups.com
Yes. Guy I bought it from had it torn apart.

New pressure switch has the same inlet as the old one.

So the 1/4 goes into it, and the female side bolts onto the tank.

Evan d'Entremont

Apr 15, 2016, 3:05:06 PM4/15/16
to halifaxm...@googlegroups.com
So it is actually 1/4 NPTM and 3/8NPTF

Princess auto only had a solid connector, which works, but it's a pain in the ass when you forget to wrap it with teflon and then have to pull the whole thing back apart. Ask me how I know :D

On that note, works great. Canadian tire has a impact wrench / chisel / tire inflator / everything else kit on for $100 :D

Baha Baydar

Apr 15, 2016, 3:24:46 PM4/15/16
to halifaxm...@googlegroups.com

Sweet! Glad my tip paid off.

I've got a small 2 gallon compressor, but it's useless for much besides inflating things and blowing dust.

Shawn Wilson

Apr 15, 2016, 3:55:32 PM4/15/16
to halifaxm...@googlegroups.com

It should work for brad/pin nailers, too. :). I love mine