vacuum forming plastic suppliers

Shawn Wilson

Oct 9, 2013, 8:04:20 AM10/9/13
to halifaxm...@googlegroups.com
Does anyone know where to get plastic for vacuum  forming locally?  Looking for something food grade (and presumably thickish) for cookie cutters, but also any other type for as-yet-unconceived future projects.  If nothing local, what's the best deal for ordering online?

Also, I'm looking for translucent, smooth, white plastic, at least 34"x4" for a Tardis "Police public call box" sign. I got a fluorescent light cover, but it's not as smooth as I'd like.  I think the vinyl would look bubbly over it.  Home Depot had something, but I think it was $70, and I don't recall if it was long enough. This seems like something that should be cheap if I knew where and what to get.

Thanks,
Shawn

Shawn Wilson

Apr 23, 2014, 10:56:22 AM4/23/14
to halifaxm...@googlegroups.com, sh...@glassgiant.com
Thought I'd put this post back out there, in case anyone has learned of anyone locally selling food grade plastic for vacuum forming.  I wanted to make some chocolate molds in the next few days.

Baha Baydar

Apr 23, 2014, 12:31:47 PM4/23/14
to halifaxm...@googlegroups.com, sh...@glassgiant.com
Would the Atlantic Wholesalers down at Mumford/Westend Mall have something suitable for food packaging that could be repurposed?

Shawn Wilson

Apr 23, 2014, 12:38:42 PM4/23/14
to halifaxm...@googlegroups.com
Hmmm... good question.  Might we worth a look.

Also, I got this from EM Plastics in Dartmouth.  I'll probably swing by to get a sheet (not sure what thickness) of styrene, but I'd prefer PETG if I can get it somewhere.

We sell the white styrene sheets in a 4’ x 8’ size sheet.

The .020” thick sheet will be $16.50/each

The .030” thick sheet will be $23.00/each

The .040” thick sheet will be $31.75/each

The .060” thick sheet will be $45.25/each.

You can come in and pay by cash if this is your method of payment.

We accept M/Card and Visa and we are set up for debit.

--

---

Shawn Wilson
@glassgiant

Baha Baydar

Apr 23, 2014, 1:06:52 PM4/23/14
to halifaxm...@googlegroups.com, sh...@glassgiant.com

Shawn Wilson

Apr 23, 2014, 9:48:54 PM4/23/14
to halifaxm...@googlegroups.com
Got a 4x8 sheet of 0.03 styrene.  And they recommended Sabic in Dartmouth for PETG.  I'll see if they sell small quantities to individuals.

Pj Legault

Apr 27, 2014, 2:44:17 PM4/27/14
to halifaxm...@googlegroups.com, sh...@glassgiant.com
SABIC Polymershapes (formerly GE Polymershapes when I worked with them) would be my first call.

http://www.sabicpolymershapes.com/polyshapes/en/Home/Home/home.html

Thornhill Drive in Burnside.

468-7732

Make sure you ask about other stuff like Offcuts of Bearing Grade Ballistic Nylon, Polycarbonate sheeting, and anything else plastic.

You want a bunch of 4x8 sheets of corrugated plastic signboard. They can set you up. Just tell them if you want single core or double core.

It was a fun place to work.

Shawn Wilson

Jun 25, 2015, 10:50:49 AM6/25/15
to halifaxm...@googlegroups.com
Good call.  Just to update this thread for anyone searching in the future, SABIC doesn't keep petg on the floor, but places orders on Fridays, and has the stuff in by Tuesday.  4x8 sheet of .060 (pinball ramps) PETG is $44.  .020 (chocolate moulds, hopefully) is $24.