Wood grain filler

Shawn Wilson

Jul 16, 2016, 7:05:34 PM7/16/16
to halifaxm...@googlegroups.com
Hey all,
Anyone know where to get wood grain filler?  This is different from wood filler as it is less putty like and more liquid. Generally used to fill the grain before finishing oak or other open-grained woods before applying finish, so you can get a glass smooth finish.  Wood filler is normally used to fill defects.  I'd like some to fill the grain that's opened on the pinball machine.  They looked at me like I was crazy at Home Depot. :)

Chris McDonald

Jul 16, 2016, 9:03:06 PM7/16/16
to halifaxm...@googlegroups.com
Lee valley maybe?

--

---

Shawn Wilson

Jul 16, 2016, 9:08:20 PM7/16/16
to halifaxm...@googlegroups.com

I thought not, but looking again they do have Elmer's wood filler which they say can be diluted for grain filling.  Cool.

Allan Carver

Jul 17, 2016, 6:50:49 AM7/17/16
to halifaxm...@googlegroups.com

I use West system epoxy resin. To colour it, you can add sanding dust from the wood. It will fill any cracks and will expand and contract with the wood.

Shawn Wilson

Jul 17, 2016, 7:16:22 AM7/17/16
to halifaxm...@googlegroups.com
Where do you get that?  Is that the same stuff you'd use for resin casting (like Peter Brown on YouTube)?  How thick is the epoxy coat?

Shawn

Allan Carver

Jul 17, 2016, 7:55:30 AM7/17/16
to halifaxm...@googlegroups.com

Try Burnside Fiberglass Marine Supply. It's looks like Peter Brown uses similar stuff.

Shawn Wilson

Jul 17, 2016, 8:20:28 AM7/17/16
to halifaxm...@googlegroups.com

Thanks, I got some polyester resin there a while ago. That wouldn't work, I assume?

Allan Carver

Jul 17, 2016, 11:00:46 AM7/17/16
to halifaxm...@googlegroups.com

It'll crack. It's too rigid.