AGM results

Evan d'Entremont

Jul 6, 2016, 10:25:43 AM7/6/16
to halifaxm...@googlegroups.com
I unfortunately couldn't make it, what was the end result?

Who are the current directors?

What was decided for a space?

Baha Baydar

Jul 6, 2016, 11:39:11 AM7/6/16
to halifaxm...@googlegroups.com
Hey Evan,

An "official" email will be going out later today. However, in the meantime I'll give a brief run down of the meeting.

There were about 25 or so people there, and nearly all of them elected to join by paying a minimum of $5. There were some new faces in attendance including two from Toronto (Steamspace?) who happened to be in the library and stopped in to observe.

Adam called the meeting to order and asked if everyone who wanted to pay at least $5 to join and vote had done so. Graham handled that while Adam gave a brief history of the HMS and an overview of Makerspaces and the Maker movement.

The PLAN was then detailed (same as the show and tell), but for the benefit of those who didn't see either presentation the rough details (from memory) are:

Space requirement:
  • Looking for at least 1000 sq.ft. of space in a building that isn't going to be torn down in less than a year
  • Located near bus routes but with it's own parking
  • Renovatable/customizable for our purposes to divide into clean/messy/noisy spaces
  • Control over the entrances
  • Other things I can't recall I'm sure. :-)
How we're going to get there:
  • Collect membership fees for $50 (full) or $25 (part-time) per month making some combination of at least $1250/month.
  • Have a goal of $5000 in the bank to cover first/last rent and misc. expenses
  • Donations from members, corporate or public sources (money and tools/materials)
  • Actively looking for other groups to partner or collaborate with. (HARC, Hal-Con, Tool Library, that new woodworking place whose name I'm drawing a blank on, etc.)
  • Other things
Then we moved to the proposed slate of directors, (Adam, Peter, and Graham all returning. Baha and Shawn added as new) then there was a discussion resulting from the lack of a call for open nominations and Michael McComb was added to the slate. All six proposed candidates were voted in with at least 50% of the votes

The directors will be having a meeting within the next few days to determine roles and responsibilities and that will be announced ASAP.

One thing that was decided was that we would have regularly scheduled "homeless" meetings at a bar/restaurant/coffee shop at least twice a month in order to foster the community. Michael will be spearheading getting that organized and an announcement will be made ASAP about that too.

There were a number of questions and answers during various stages of the meeting but I don't recall enough specifics to give details.

Then the Library kicked us out. :-)

Baha

--

---