Any local CNC Router builds here?

Hoenir Blarg

Aug 20, 2017, 11:19:55 AM8/20/17
to Halifax Makerspace
Just starting a CNC router build and was curious if anyone in this group was as well, or have built one in the past?

I have my initial order of C beam v rail extrusion in, along with maybe 80% of the stuff I need (still discovering lots of bits as I go).

Ian McKay

Aug 20, 2017, 12:03:32 PM8/20/17
to Halifax Makerspace
I built a Shapeoko 3 XXL kit so have a bit of experience. I am not a member as I live in Scots Bay, but am happy to help out and share my knowledge.

Ian

Chris McDonald

Aug 20, 2017, 12:52:34 PM8/20/17
to halifaxm...@googlegroups.com
Hello Hoenir,

I helped assemble a shapeoko a few years ago. I've also built a few 3d printers and such. I was collecting the parts to build a large laser cutter but that project has been shelved for the moment. I now have access to a really nice big CNC router here at work(Discovery Centre). I also have a mini lathe, X2 mini mill and deckle KF-12 milling machine at home. Some day I may convert the KF-12 to CNC. I've been off on a manual machining tangent for the past few years. I started learning machining to help build the laser cutter and machining became an obsession in itself. I'm currently hunting for a big lathe. With machines bigger, stiffer and heavier the better.

Fusion 360 is great software and its free for hobbyist. John Saunders(NYC CNC on youtube) has some great videos on how to use Fusion 360. He is a bit more machine shop focused, but 90% of it applies to CNC routing wood.

Later this fall I may be able to invite in a group from the makerspace and do a little introduction to CNC routing.  At this point I can't make any promises. Life and work are very busy these days. We have CWI Basic HDX CNC router:

Chris McDonald

--

---

Scott Llewellyn

Aug 20, 2017, 8:09:14 PM8/20/17
to halifaxm...@googlegroups.com

I have built couple,  a joescnc and long while ago and now i have a raptor from zerocnc (thing is a beast!). I'm not really a member either just a lurker but would be happy to offer any help / advise i have.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/5j4ldx25prfjiry/AADFDSfpSQvUewqvrwqzfpT7a?dl=0

Scott

On 8/20/2017 1:03 PM, Ian McKay wrote:
I built a Shapeoko 3 XXL kit so have a bit of experience. I am not a member as I live in Scots Bay, but am happy to help out and share my knowledge.

Ian

--

---

Hoenir Blarg

Aug 26, 2017, 5:05:09 PM8/26/17
to Halifax Makerspace
Very interesting.

I too am not a member, as my basement is already tooled up, cept for the CNC router.

I am going rather slow, with budgeting for parts and then delivery times allowing me time to change my mind on what I want to build.

I currently have 4 1 meter pieces of C Beam V rail extrusion with which I intend to use 3 for my sides and gantry of a Cartesian CNC.

While considering what side plates to use, I found an example of C Beam being used for gantry supports as well.

This seems like a good use for the remainder of the 4th beam (after using 1/4 meter for the Z axis).

The build didn't start this haphazardly...but I keep coming across better designs.

Here is my current favourite design:

http://www.openbuilds.com/builds/1000mm-x-1000mm-with-tinyg.4650/

I think I may have something working around December.

My first true bit of waste was ordering 4 meters of 2 start 8mm lead screw by mistake, and needing 4 start...sigh.

In the meantime I am learning how to make my own antiback lash nuts via diy 8mm lead screw taps.

I am learning lots and now wondering if the weight of a  2.2kw ER20 spindle will cause deflection...or if I should just get the 1.5km ER16 spindle would be better.

Lots to learn and think about.