#HAITI ZIKA: South Florida - Citizens Against NALED Poison ------> Eske nap gade sakap itilize lakay?

Stanley Lucas

Sep 13, 2016, 11:01:11 PM9/13/16
URGENT MEDIA AND PUBLIC ALERT

South Florida - Citizens Against NALED Poison

The South Florida Poison Response Coalition (SFPRC), requests your immediate attention to the spraying of the EEU banned, neurotoxin poison, NALED.

Tomorrow morning, Wednesday September 14, 2016, at 8 am, a Miami Beach Commission Meeting is being held at City Hall. The purpose of the meeting is to propose an alternative means to Miami Dade County’s current use of NALED (organophosphate poison) on our community and its citizens.  SFPRC chairman, Dr. Michael, J. Hall, MD, MSc will speak and introduce experts in other fields and Florida counties.

In order to have clear and concise facts on the issues at hand, we have outlined a few pertinent points and attached these recent research studies on the dangers of NALED and the effects felt across our community.

Miami Dade County has provided a Mosquito Summary Trap Data Sheet for Miami Beach. This Data Sheet shows that the mosquito count had reached its peak on 8/23/2016. Two weeks later, on 9/8/2016, the day before NALED was used, there already been a significant drop and downward trend of mosquito count of 52%.

Two days before the county first used NALED on Miami Beach, there were many protests in opposition. These protests were ignored and the Commission did not give a fair opportunity for the community to present unbiased facts and experts to speak. Tomorrow morning, the South Florida Poison Response Coalition will introduce various experts on the subject.

The impact of the first 2 NALED sprays in Miami Beach were widely reportedincluding numerous parents who reported that their children developed skin rashes, breathing problems, and stomachaches within hours after the spraying

The main concern here is that the long-term repercussions of the symptoms are unknown at this point, and may prove to be catastrophic. Other residents have reported issues with heavy breathing, irritated eyes, bloody noses, and muscle spasms. In addition to the physical human effects, there were dead birds, squirrels, butterflies and thousands of bees found throughout Miami Beach’s streets and people’s backyards. A resident found dead Koi fish in his pond and many noticed that the water in their swimming pools changed to a darker color. Additionally, our shorelines have many designated nesting areas for endangered, and federally protected sea turtles. Many residents have filed complaints to the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation concerning this and other extremely important environmental issues.  Both the Emergency Manager of Miami Beach and Miami Dade County were informed of this threat in an attempt to disclose public sentiment and potential Endangered Species Act violations.

We encourage everyone who has experienced any of the above incidents to IMMEDIATELY email Miami-Dade County Mayor, Carlos Gimenez, and the Miami Beach Commissioners at the addresses listed below:

Mayor Gimenez: ma...@miamidade.gov

City Manager Jimmy Morales: JimmyM...@miamibeachfl.gov

Commissioner Micky Steinberg: mi...@miamibeachfl.gov

Commissioner Joy Malakoff: JoyMa...@miamibeachfl.gov

Commissioner Kristen Rosen Gonzalez: david...@miamibeachfl.gov (aid)

Commissioner Ricky Arriola: erickc...@miamibeachfl.gov

Commissioner Michael Grieco: danila...@miamibeachfl.gov

Commissioner John Elizabeth Aleman: johna...@miamibeachfl.gov

WE DEMAND A TWO-WEEK MORATORIUM ON THE SPRAYING OF NALED

During the requested two-week moratorium, we would like to see:

  1. A drastic increase in the use of larvacide (BTi)
  2. Use of the Monroe County Mosquito Control program of “boots on the ground”
  3. Increase in the use of traps that Miami Dade County FAILED to preemptively use
  4. We also strongly suggest the preventative usage of BTi north and south of the designated Zika zones
  5. It is also important to note that we are only weeks away from our first cold-front, where the mosquito count will naturally decrease due to the colder climate conditions, therefor we need to reassess and make more informed decisions
  6. Since the mosquito count trend was decreasing significantly before the use of NALED, this requested two-week moratorium would give us the opportunity to see if the downward trend continues. Along with Miami Dade County Mosquito Control data that reflects the application of control.
  7. If a noted decrease is observed, we recommend that NALED be discontinued from use, indefinitely
  8. We are open to other novel mosquito control solutions, notwithstanding GMO mosquitos (the Oxitect mosquito) and other known poisons

We respectfully suggest that Miami Dade County Mosquito Control use much more caution and inform our community when it comes to spraying a dangerous pesticide in heavily populated urban areas without proper disclosures and explanations to the public.

At the meeting, we will also be suggesting alternative long-term solutions to eradicating the Zika virus from our community. Such solutions include for example, the introduction of the Wolbachia technique. The links to information about this technique are:

This is specific to the Aegypti Program and has videos and presentations embedded:
(note use the down arrow on the far left to scroll down to maps, videos, etc.)

These are pages with information that would be relatively identical for the Aegypti species:

We want to understand the RFP (bidding) process within the State of Florida and Department of Agriculture.  In advance of the Zika outbreak in South Florida, the state asked that private environmental control companies stock up on their respective larvacide and adulticide in support of advancing the States’ mosquito control effort.  Once the outbreak hit South Florida, the RFP process was closed down, private contractors were shut out of the response effort, and only a very small, select group of pesticide contractors, and chemicals were deployed to perform the tasks to eradicate Zika. We request that the State of Florida disclose the existing RFP process to date to affirm that it was followed to the letter of the law, expand its bidding process to allow for innovative, organic and safer pesticides to be used and that verified scientific groups and acadamia be allowed access to mosquito trap data and accurate GEO locations, so that the current spraying regime can be scientifically quantified and validated.

Since Miami-Dade County does not believe that Naled is dangerous, we have included some key research articles for your information:

Excerpts from the Naled Label:

“HUMANS AND DOMESTIC ANIMALS: DANGER: CORROSIVE
Causes irreversible eye damage. Causes skin burns. May be fatal if swallowed. Harmful if inhaled or absorbed through skin. Do not get in eyes, on skin, or on clothing. Prolonged or frequently repeated skin contact may cause allergic reactions in some individuals. Do not breathe mist/vapors/spray…

ENVIRONMENTAL HAZARDS
This product is toxic to fish, birds, and other wildlife. Keep out of any body of water… Before making the first application in a season, consult with the primary State agency responsible for regulating the pesticide to determine if permits are required or regulatory mandates exist. Runoff from treated areas or deposition of spray droplets into a body of water may be hazardous to fish and aquatic invertebrates. Do not apply over bodies of water (e.g., lakes, swamps, rivers, permanent streams, natural ponds, commercial fish ponds, marshes or estuaries), except when necessary to target areas where adult mosquitoes are present, and weather conditions will facilitate movement of applied material away from the water in order to minimize incidental deposition into the water body. This product is highly toxic to bees exposed to direct treatment on blooming corps or weeds.” (Emphasis added)

RESEARCH STUDIES:

Cornell study:

Toxipedia:

Another version of the actual label from the product:

California government study:

A disturbing government document apparently showing the mosquito control industry attempting to loosen environmental and endangered species laws to allow use of this neurotoxin:

Alaskan study that showed that Naled killed other wildlife such as waterstriders:

The complete technical manual for Naled from the manufacturer:

University study on the affects of Naled on fish:

Comprehensive document on Naled from the Journal of Pesticide Reform, LOTS to read:

The European Union BAN on Naled from 2012:
"The Commission decided that type 18 biocidal products containing naled pose a potential and unacceptable risk to human health and the environment."
PLEASE COME TOMORROW MORNING TO VOICE YOUR CONCERNS AT CITY HALL.

Sincerely,

The South Florida Poison Response Coalition

--
Twitter: Stanleylucas01
Si vous voulez vous faire des ennemis, essayer de changer les choses.