Chicago Book Club

melanie....@gmail.com

Oct 4, 2013, 2:19:22 PM10/4/13
to hairpin...@googlegroups.com
Hey guys!

I live in Chicago, and I really want to join a book club. I'd be open to starting a book club from scratch with other 'pinners in Chicago, or if anyone is already a part of a book club that would be open to a new member, I would love to join yours! Let me know!

- Melanie

jabla...@gmail.com

Oct 11, 2013, 2:46:29 PM10/11/13
to hairpin...@googlegroups.com
Yay!  I would love to get a book club started -- I know some other hairpinners had one going for awhile, but I never made it nor have I seen any activity for it on here recently.  I'm relatively new to the area so it would be great to meet some ladies with similar interests...such as reading books...and talking about books...and eating/drinking while talking about books.

Julie

beiler.e...@gmail.com

Oct 12, 2013, 8:45:48 AM10/12/13
to hairpin...@googlegroups.com
Hi ladies

I went to one book club meeting with the old group but haven't seen any meet ups since then. If like to get it going again. Let me know if you guys are interested in picking a book.

katrina.p...@gmail.com

Oct 12, 2013, 9:55:21 AM10/12/13
to hairpin...@googlegroups.com, beiler.e...@gmail.com
Sounds fun - count me in!

melanie....@gmail.com

Oct 14, 2013, 12:47:42 PM10/14/13
to hairpin...@googlegroups.com
Awesome! Having never planned a book club before - I can only assume the next steps are to pick a book, pick a date, and pick a place. Any suggestions on the book front?

jabla...@gmail.com

Oct 16, 2013, 2:05:01 PM10/16/13
to hairpin...@googlegroups.com
I'm not too picky as far as the book goes -- some books currently on my "to read" list:  The Handmaids Tail, Brave New World, Me Before You, Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore...
I'll read just about anything though.  Except for 50 Shades.  Never that.

Katrina

Oct 16, 2013, 11:38:59 PM10/16/13
to hairpin...@googlegroups.com
I've read the first two, but would happily re-read if the group wanted. Who wrote the others?

beiler.e...@gmail.com

Oct 17, 2013, 2:52:37 AM10/17/13
to hairpin...@googlegroups.com
Ill read either of the last two since someone's already read the first two. Here are a few from my list:

Freedom: A Novel by Jonathan Franzen
An American Tragedy Theodore Dreiser
Room: A Novel Emma Donoghue
In Cold Blood Truman Capote

Message has been deleted

Leah Greenblum

Oct 17, 2013, 11:11:24 AM10/17/13
to hairpin...@googlegroups.com
I'd love to discuss Freedom with the group (such a FANTASTIC read!!), or read the Handmaid's Tale.

Cheers,
Leah

melanie....@gmail.com

Oct 17, 2013, 11:53:33 AM10/17/13
to hairpin...@googlegroups.com
This is getting me all excited about the book club! Suggestions so far have included:

The Handmaid's Tale - Margaret Atwood
Brave New World - Aldous Huxley
Me Before You - Jojo Moyes
Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore - Robin Sloan
Freedom - Jonathan Franzen
An American Tragedy - Theodore Dreiser
Room - Emma Donaghue
In Cold Blood - Truman Capote

I would be happy to read any of these, so unless anyone else has something they want to read - maybe we could each select our top 1 or 2 and narrow it down like that?

beiler.e...@gmail.com

Oct 17, 2013, 9:46:55 PM10/17/13
to hairpin...@googlegroups.com
I'd say freedom and handmaidens tale :)
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

beiler.e...@gmail.com

Oct 17, 2013, 9:56:39 PM10/17/13
to hairpin...@googlegroups.com
Sorry handmaids tale

beiler.e...@gmail.com

Oct 23, 2013, 10:28:46 PM10/23/13
to hairpin...@googlegroups.com
Hi ladies

I was wondering where we left off on picking a book and if we were all still interested in going forward with a meet up?

melanie....@gmail.com

Oct 23, 2013, 11:15:23 PM10/23/13
to hairpin...@googlegroups.com, beiler.e...@gmail.com
I am definitely still interested! Perhaps we should just pick Freedom for ease? People seemed excited about that, and the picking process may be difficult to do over the internet if it gets complicated. Let me know what you guys think!

Leah Greenblum

Oct 24, 2013, 3:40:18 PM10/24/13
to hairpin...@googlegroups.com
Yes! I think that Freedom is a great idea. Should I just throw out a date? Should the first meeting be at a coffee shop?

How's about.. Sat, Nov 23 at 3 PM at New Wave in Logan Square?
1) Do weekends work for people?
2) Is that enough time for folks to read the book?
3) Logan Sq works for me, but I'm not sure about others.

Cheers,
Leah

jabla...@gmail.com

Oct 25, 2013, 12:13:39 PM10/25/13
to hairpin...@googlegroups.com
Whoops, I failed to respond.  I was going to put in a vote for Freedom, so that works well!

New Wave on the 23rd works for me, I am there often anyhow.  I'm just fine with Saturday, but since we are discussing it, my general preference might be a little bit toward Sundays.  Flexible on all counts, though.

Julie

melanie....@gmail.com

Oct 25, 2013, 12:32:09 PM10/25/13
to hairpin...@googlegroups.com
3pm Nov. 23rd at New Wave works for me as well! Looking forward to it!
Message has been deleted

Leah Greenblum

Oct 27, 2013, 9:34:06 PM10/27/13
to hairpin...@googlegroups.com
I'm fine with Sunday. What do you all think?

Leah

On Sunday, October 27, 2013, Emily Petrosko wrote:
I would love to come, but i cant do Saturdays. Let me know if the group moves to Sunday.

jabla...@gmail.com

melanie....@gmail.com

Oct 29, 2013, 10:26:16 AM10/29/13
to hairpin...@googlegroups.com, jabla...@gmail.com
Sunday works for me too!

- Melanie

Leah Greenblum

Oct 30, 2013, 1:49:32 PM10/30/13
to hairpin...@googlegroups.com, jabla...@gmail.com
Ok, So it's decided:

The return of Chicago Hairpin Book Club!
Freedom by Jonathan Franzen
Sunday, Nov 24 [Sun before Thanksgiving], 3 pm @ New Wave Coffee, Logan Square
Of course, come even if you haven't finished the book!

My digits are: three-two-one.750.three.970.

Happy reading!
Leah

shanno...@gmail.com

Nov 1, 2013, 4:45:09 PM11/1/13
to hairpin...@googlegroups.com, jabla...@gmail.com
Is this a closed group, or can I join in?? I would love to meet some awesome hairpin-reader ladies (and talk about books)!

jabla...@gmail.com

Nov 1, 2013, 4:52:40 PM11/1/13
to hairpin...@googlegroups.com, jabla...@gmail.com
Open -- the more the merrier!

Leah Greenblum

Nov 1, 2013, 10:45:02 PM11/1/13
to hairpin...@googlegroups.com
Tots open!

poss...@gmail.com

Nov 5, 2013, 1:46:13 PM11/5/13
to hairpin...@googlegroups.com
Just saw this feed and so glad someone is restarting the Chicago book club! I'd LOVE to join as well.

melanie....@gmail.com

Nov 5, 2013, 4:23:19 PM11/5/13
to hairpin...@googlegroups.com, poss...@gmail.com
I'm about 100 pages into Freedom and I'm already itching to talk to people about it...can't wait!

- Melanie

beiler.e...@gmail.com

Nov 5, 2013, 9:09:11 PM11/5/13
to hairpin...@googlegroups.com
Melanie I feel the same way! I've been boring my husband to death summarizing every chapter to him lol great read so far!

beiler.e...@gmail.com

Nov 23, 2013, 10:42:04 PM11/23/13
to hairpin...@googlegroups.com
Hey ladies,

I may miss the meet up tomorrow, my parents will be in town and I'm hoping they'll be gone before 3pm but I'm not sure. If I can't make it please let me know what the next book will be and next meet up. Thanks

Elizabeth

aene...@gmail.com

Dec 8, 2013, 9:57:18 AM12/8/13
to hairpin...@googlegroups.com
I just saw this and would love to join a book club! Did the meetup happen? Is there a new book? I need some Christmas break reading.

melanie....@gmail.com

Dec 8, 2013, 11:45:43 AM12/8/13
to hairpin...@googlegroups.com
A meetup did happen! And there is a new book - The Lowland by Jhumpa Lahiri. We decided New Wave in Logan Square on a Sunday afternoon is still a good choice, but we never settled on a date for the next meetup. Any suggestions for a date from those who came/plan to come next time?

jabla...@gmail.com

Dec 10, 2013, 12:47:00 PM12/10/13
to hairpin...@googlegroups.com
Ah! I've been meaning to follow-up on this -- I had to flake out on the last one as work stuff came up.  I hope you guys had good turnout and enjoyed yourselves.  The new book sounds great.  How about Jan. 5th or 12th?

Julie

beiler.e...@gmail.com

Dec 10, 2013, 9:21:28 PM12/10/13
to hairpin...@googlegroups.com
I also had to miss the first meet up but would like to participate in the next one if theirs room?

beiler.e...@gmail.com

Dec 10, 2013, 9:22:55 PM12/10/13
to hairpin...@googlegroups.com
what about Sunday Jan. 12th or 19th?

melanie....@gmail.com

Dec 10, 2013, 9:40:19 PM12/10/13
to hairpin...@googlegroups.com
Of course there is room! Let's do Sunday, January 12th?

beiler.e...@gmail.com

Dec 10, 2013, 9:50:06 PM12/10/13
to hairpin...@googlegroups.com
Works for me! How about 12:30?

melanie....@gmail.com

Dec 11, 2013, 10:55:52 AM12/11/13
to hairpin...@googlegroups.com, beiler.e...@gmail.com
Sounds good!

So, the next meeting of Chicago Hairpin Book Club:

- Sunday, January 12th at 12:30 pm
- New Wave Coffee in Logan Square

- The Lowland by Jhumpa Lahiri

Let me know if there are any objections, all is flexible :)

poss...@gmail.com

Jan 2, 2014, 1:04:02 PM1/2/14
to hairpin...@googlegroups.com, beiler.e...@gmail.com
Sounds great. Looking forward to it!

jabla...@gmail.com

Jan 8, 2014, 5:11:06 PM1/8/14
to hairpin...@googlegroups.com
Yikes, looks like I'm going to have to bail again -- I'm have to go into work on Sunday.  I hope you ladies have fun and meet again next month, I'm still excited about this book club!

Julie

beiler.e...@gmail.com

Jan 12, 2014, 1:38:08 PM1/12/14
to hairpin...@googlegroups.com
Hi I'm here at new wave is anyone else here? My number is 8476566152

beiler.e...@gmail.com

Jan 12, 2014, 1:46:52 PM1/12/14
to hairpin...@googlegroups.com

cgan...@gmail.com

Jan 23, 2014, 12:56:04 PM1/23/14
to hairpin...@googlegroups.com
Hi guys! I just found this and was wondering if I could join the club?!

cate.h...@gmail.com

Jun 29, 2014, 5:18:28 PM6/29/14
to hairpin...@googlegroups.com
Hey pinners! Is this still happening and can I get in on it? I need lady friends! I'm new to Chicago!

xoxo, Cate

Anna Forsher

Jul 2, 2014, 2:59:57 PM7/2/14
to hairpin...@googlegroups.com
I'm wondering as well!  I also am not on Facebook so I'm hoping that announcements get posted on the Google Group!

- Anna

Heather Nicole

Jul 2, 2014, 8:32:30 PM7/2/14
to hairpin...@googlegroups.com
I'm up for Chicago Pinner hangouts! (I am not sure I can fully commit to a book club but I can definitely commit to eating and drinking delicious things and chatting!)

Anna Forsher

Jul 9, 2014, 11:42:30 AM7/9/14
to hairpin...@googlegroups.com
Should we set up something, ladies?  Maybe a happy hour this Friday?

Cate Humpage

Jul 9, 2014, 11:44:25 AM7/9/14
to hairpin...@googlegroups.com
Yeah!!! That sounds great! I'm up in Edgewater, but can easily access anywhere on the Red. I'm free until about 7:30-8 on Friday!

Cate Humpage

Heather Nicole

Jul 10, 2014, 8:39:16 AM7/10/14
to hairpin...@googlegroups.com, cate.h...@gmail.com
I can do Friday! I live in Andersonville and work in the Loop, so anywhere Redline accessible works for me too.

Leah Greenblum

Jul 10, 2014, 8:41:46 AM7/10/14
to hairpin...@googlegroups.com, cate.h...@gmail.com
Bummer, I can't make it Friday. Next time! I'd love to meet you all! We haven't done a hairpin meetup in awhile!

Leah

Anna Forsher

Jul 10, 2014, 10:23:03 AM7/10/14
to hairpin...@googlegroups.com, cate.h...@gmail.com
​I too work in the Loop but I live in Logan Square and am not as familiar with the Red Line so I'll defer to you all on a place to meet up.  (And Leah, sorry to hear you can't make it!)​

Anna Forsher

Jul 10, 2014, 10:34:52 AM7/10/14
to Cate Humpage, hairpin...@googlegroups.com
No worries, I don't mind at all!  My only reservation would be going anywhere in Wrigleyville as the Cubs have an afternoon game tomorrow so that neighborhood'll be pretty crowded around happy hour.

On Thu, Jul 10, 2014 at 9:31 AM, Cate Humpage <cate.h...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hmm, I don't want to take you too far out of your way Anna! Heather, any ideas?? I'm fairly new here-- so I have a very limited knowledge of bars close to the loop!
--

Cate Humpage

melanie....@gmail.com

Jul 10, 2014, 2:22:19 PM7/10/14
to hairpin...@googlegroups.com, cate.h...@gmail.com
Hey guys! I'm down to join too. I also live in Logan Square, so how about we meet at Local Option? I've never been there, but I've heard it's cool/has good beer options. That way it's off the Red Line, but also right down Fullerton for the Logan Square people. Does any particular time work for you guys?

Anna Forsher

Jul 10, 2014, 2:31:59 PM7/10/14
to hairpin...@googlegroups.com
Melanie, you're a woman after my own heart!  Local Option sounds perfect to me.  I should be walking out the office door by 5 so I can be there around 5:30 but I'm flexible.

Cate Humpage

Jul 10, 2014, 3:04:27 PM7/10/14
to hairpin...@googlegroups.com
I'm in!! 5:30 sounds great to me! Uhh-- just in case you need it: 440.567.8964

Maureen

Jul 10, 2014, 10:13:37 PM7/10/14
to hairpin...@googlegroups.com, cate.h...@gmail.com
I'm in - haven't been to a pinup in forever! Will there be some sort of secret signal or will I have to awkwardly seek you guys out?

Maureen

Heather Nicole

Jul 11, 2014, 1:48:35 PM7/11/14
to hairpin...@googlegroups.com
I'm planning to show up around 5:45 (work willing!) and I'll be in a black n white striped dress w a bright pink cardigan, if that helps!

Anna Forsher

Jul 11, 2014, 5:23:14 PM7/11/14
to hairpin...@googlegroups.com
​I most likely will be there closer to 6.​

On Fri, Jul 11, 2014 at 12:48 PM, Heather Nicole <heather.a...@gmail.com> wrote:
I'm planning to show up around 5:45 (work willing!) and I'll be in a black n white striped dress w a bright pink cardigan, if that helps!

melanie....@gmail.com

Jul 11, 2014, 6:21:19 PM7/11/14
to hairpin...@googlegroups.com
Hey guys! I'm sorry to say I'm not gonna make it tonight after all - I got hit by a car while biking earlier (I'm unscathed, just shaken up) so I'm just going to stay in tonight. Enjoy yourselves and please let me know if you decide to meet up again, I'd love to join!

Heather Nicole

Jul 11, 2014, 7:30:16 PM7/11/14
to hairpin...@googlegroups.com
Oh my gosh, Melanie! Glad you're ok! I'm not making it out tonight for less dramatic reasons: have been sick-ish week and I just don't have the energy. But please, let me know too if there will be a second meetup!

itallfit...@gmail.com

Apr 7, 2015, 4:23:43 PM4/7/15
to hairpin...@googlegroups.com
Hi Melanie - I am moving to Chicago in about a month, and I wondered if the book club is still going? (I hope you really were unscathed after the bike crash!) Someone on the open thread at The Toast pointed me to a FB group for Chicago Toasties, but I would love to join if there's a Hairpinners group or anything. Thank you! Kehla