Black Spot Stats [Kenya]

Huston Malande

Oct 6, 2014, 5:32:33 AM10/6/14
to hackshacke...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,

I'm looking for stats on common accident locations (black spots) in Kenya. Can't find anything useful on Google. Anyone know where I should try looking?

Any help will be appreciated.

Francis Nderitu

Dec 5, 2014, 12:36:58 AM12/5/14
to hackshacke...@googlegroups.com, hus...@skylinedesign.co.ke

--

---

Regards
Francis Nderitu
Web Development Consultant-
Regional  Ambassador  - HAcK Shanghai
Web Developer | Web Designer | UX Designer | Digital Payments
Tel:+254722450087  G+ | +Francis Nderitu  Twitter | @techservices_KE  Web | www.kenyatech.services

Huston Malande

Dec 5, 2014, 1:53:38 AM12/5/14
to Francis Nderitu, hackshacke...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, but already had the list.

I’m particularly looking for statistics, i.e. number of recorded accidents per black spot. The purpose is to determine a danger level for the top black spots.
__

Huston Malande
CEO · Skyline Designsigned. martian.

Aggrey Mutimba

Dec 14, 2014, 4:36:16 AM12/14/14
to hackshacke...@googlegroups.com, Francis Nderitu
Dear Huston,
Many of us have always known black spots to be very dangerous spots on our roads. Technically, I've always doubted the methodology used to declare these spots "black". I think the causes of accidents should be more weighty than just the frequency of accidents in declaring black spots. In fact, the frequency of accidents should be tied to the causes related to the uniqueness of the spot like having blind corners, fog, etc. Look at it this way, if point 'A' has 7 accidents in a week due to drunken driving near a market at a junction and point 'B' has 3 accidents in a period of 3 months due to hardly noticeable poor engineering of the road by contractors hired by the government, which area do you think will be declared a black spot? I have a feeling some spots are largely declared black just to manage emotions of the local community after a fatal accident has happened and a community demonstration is held, and the police together with local administration erect mountainous bumps and declare the spot as black, then it goes down to records as black. Sometimes, a place on the road can be too scary I agree, because of the blurred vision due to fog or meanders of the road. All these has nothing to do with frequency of accidents. My point is, if the methodology that was used to declare these black spots had something to do with frequency of accidents tied to the uniqueness of the area then "whoever" came up with this list should provide you with data and also find out the causes of the accident. If not, you'd rather just find data on frequency of road accidents on Kenyan roads and do your own assessment of black spots.

Alternatively, it's highly-likely that road accidents that happened near these so called "black spots" were reported to the nearby police stations as required by law. However, since you have the list, call, walk into traffic departments, use your contacts, hack into systems :) visit ministries and government agencies if you really need these data. Seems nobody in our circle has organized this data into spreadsheet.

Lastly, I wish you good luck!

Best regards,
Aggrey