Where to Buy Sodium Citrate

John Berns

Dec 8, 2013, 6:24:40 AM12/8/13
to hacker...@googlegroups.com
I want to make some really awesome Macaroni and Cheese and I need sodium citrate.

Really:
http://modernistcuisine.com/recipes/sodium-citrate-creates-silky-smooth-macaroni-and-cheese/

Meng Weng Wong

Dec 8, 2013, 8:33:43 AM12/8/13
to hacker...@googlegroups.com
i wonder if using Kraft singles would get you enough sodium phosphate for the same effect.

btw i have the full set of Modernist Cuisine books – i'll bring it along to the christmas dinner for perusal.

Alvin Ho

Dec 8, 2013, 1:22:19 PM12/8/13
to hacker...@googlegroups.com
curiosity : is it the stuff that goes into
1. cheezels
https://www.google.com.sg/search?q=cheezels&hl=en-SG&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=wrSkUu-BHIaTrgeY94DoDg&ved=0CDQQsAQ&biw=1363&bih=618&dpr=1
2. planters cheese balls & puffs - sorry i don't have a good pix, but there are people petitioning planter to bring it back.

if kraft made it as meng suggested, i think you should seriously go for something like this. It's also made by kraft;
http://www.uncletehpeng.com/2012/08/macaroni-cheese-tutorial.html
http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Kraft%C2%AE-Macaroni-and-Cheese

it actually taste pretty good.. not sure about the singapore version tho. A word of caution, i wouldn't exactly call it awesome, the homemade 1 probably taste much better & if u read the packaging on the kraft version, you probably won't eat it; but that's my opinion!

i'll ask my niece next time i c her if she know where sells something like this. She too is crazy abt it. Unfortunately, i just met her some time today :( i vaugely recall either ABC or value$ having it some years back. Nowadays the only food at ABC is instant noodles & i haven't been inside valu$ for ages.

Actually, if you could tell us what's the household term, we might be able to look out for it.

Benjamin Scherrey

Dec 8, 2013, 3:16:22 PM12/8/13
to hackerspacesg
Sodium Citrate is also known as Sour Salt and can sometimes be found in a kosher grocery. Be sure to check the ingredient list because there are two forms of "sour salt" so you gotta make sure you have the right one. Anyone doing DIY-Bio should probably have some. Na3C6H5O7 is used as an anti-coagulant for gene sequencing and other fun things when you need your solutions to stay smooth - like Mac & Cheese. Frankly my favorite part of Mac & Cheese was the brown burnt cheese on top like my mom used to make...

-- Ben

Chat: http://hackerspace.sg/chat

---

Chief Systems Architect Proteus Technologies
Personal blog where I am not your demographic.

This email intended solely for those who have received it. If you have received this email by accident - well lucky you!!

John Berns

Dec 9, 2013, 6:13:22 AM12/9/13
to hacker...@googlegroups.com
Meng: Velveeta and Kraft slices also have gelling agents. Hard to make that rich creamy sauce from processed American cheese. I've tried... Besides, I want to try different kinds of cheeses.

Alvin: I've done the Kraft Mac and Cheese. Damn near lived off it in college. It's great, but I want to be more exotic!

Ben: Sour Salt is Citric Acid. Not the same thing. I've found Citric Acid, but not Sodium Citrate. And there's a distinct shortage of Kosher stores in Singapore...

Benjamin Scherrey

Dec 9, 2013, 6:26:01 AM12/9/13
to hackerspacesg
John: Both Sodium Citrate and Citric Acid are sold branded as "Sour Salt" - just have to check the ingredients label as I said earlier. That's how I've been able to find Sodium Citrate in the past. I expect it won't be so easy to find in grocery stores there but that's how it would be labeled. Otherwise you'll need to find a chemical supply company that already has it or the components needed to make your own.

-- Ben

Chat: http://hackerspace.sg/chat

---

Alvin Ho

Dec 9, 2013, 11:13:08 AM12/9/13
to hacker...@googlegroups.com
ach, this is getting too funny.. i too lived on kraft mac & cheese.. in college. it tastes soooooo goooood & yummy & is more healthy than instant noodle.. even my niece who is approaching 20 is addicted to it already!

you're right, kosher stores are hard to come by & they're expansiv! Here's the only 1 in singapore i can google. The opening hours are also unpredictable.
http://www.singaporejews.com/elite-kosher-shop.html

cold storage claims they sell some kosher food, but don't talk abt sodium citrate. i can't even find matzo there. On the rare occasion that they have it, the box says its not suitable for passover use. which is okay, i'm not jewish; my favorite food is pork cutlet; weinnerschnitzel in austrian!

The only other place i know that sells unusual stuff is jasons.
http://www.marketplacebyjasons.com/mpjshop/en/html/index.html

hmm, this might b a shot in the dark, but when i'm at a loss, i usually goto mustafa. 70% of the time, i find stuff that i can't find anywhere else, but don't b fussy abt the brand name!

Martin Bähr

Dec 9, 2013, 1:05:00 PM12/9/13
to Alvin Ho, hacker...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Dec 09, 2013 at 08:13:08AM -0800, Alvin Ho wrote:
> hmm, this might b a shot in the dark, but when i'm at a loss, i usually
> goto mustafa. 70% of the time, i find stuff that i can't find anywhere
> else, but don't b fussy abt the brand name!

isame experience here. if i didn't know where to get something, i'd
check mustafa first.

greetings, martin.
--
eKita - the online platform for your entire academic life
hackerspace beijing - http://qike.info

Shanmugam mpl

Dec 9, 2013, 10:22:09 PM12/9/13
to hacker...@googlegroups.com
Making your own! You can buy crystallized citric acid, you can buy lye at most grocery stores. If you can find the concentration of Sodium hydroxide, you should be able to make your own Sodium citrate. You might also find sodium citrate in pharmacies as its used as an anti-coagulant.

--Shan

Shan

Dec 9, 2013, 10:26:11 PM12/9/13
to hacker...@googlegroups.com
Might be easier to use Sodium Bicarbonate.

Meng Weng Wong

Dec 9, 2013, 11:41:18 PM12/9/13
to hacker...@googlegroups.com
On 10 Dec, 2013, at 11:22 AM, Shanmugam mpl <shanmu...@gmail.com> wrote:

Making your own! You can buy crystallized citric acid, you can buy lye at most grocery stores. If you can find the concentration of Sodium hydroxide, you should be able to make your own Sodium citrate. You might also find sodium citrate in pharmacies as its used as an anti-coagulant.

Alvin Ho

Dec 10, 2013, 12:47:55 AM12/10/13
to hacker...@googlegroups.com
hahah.. okay, mustafa is not the 1st place i would visit bec some time in the dim distant past, i did a job for mustafa which required me to pull a few "all nighters." their computer room was near the place where all the spices were & late at night, when no customers are around, rats start scurrying across the floor!

My mum tells me that sodium bicarbonate is meat tenderizer. is that correct?

Joseph Casebeer

Apr 17, 2015, 11:11:11 PM4/17/15
to hacker...@googlegroups.com
Same here I tried buying some, and apparently a license is required to buy it.

Eugene Ng

Apr 18, 2015, 11:29:35 AM4/18/15
to hacker...@googlegroups.com
You can easily buy citric acid from small to large amounts from a professional baking supply store such as http://www.phoonhuat.com/

Sodium bicarbonate is baking soda.

Lawrence Sinclair

Jul 21, 2015, 11:55:49 AM7/21/15
to hacker...@googlegroups.com
I hear urine can be used in a pinch. I assume you wanted to use this as a sweet smelling stop bath for your prints. In Vietnam I found sodium citrate from the chemist/drugstore.