Public consultation on proposed changes to the copyright regime in Singapore (23 Aug to 23 Oct 2016)

Ivan Chew

Aug 24, 2016, 1:45:45 AM8/24/16
to hacker...@googlegroups.com

Hello everyone, this might be of interest to you. The Singapore Ministry of Law just issued an invitation for public consultation, on proposed changes to the copyright regime in Singapore. The consultation period is 23 Aug to 23 Oct 2016.

Details at:
https://www.mlaw.gov.sg/content/minlaw/en/news/public-consultations/public-consultation-on-proposed-changes-to-copyright-regime-in-s.html

A summary of the key changes is also listed here at the press release page:
https://www.mlaw.gov.sg/content/minlaw/en/news/press-releases/public-consultation-open-for-feedback-on-singapores-copyright-re.html

Best Regards,
Ivan Chew
Creative Commons-SG public lead

artisti...@gmail.com
http://ArtistIvanChew.tumblr.com

Harish Pillay

Aug 24, 2016, 3:49:09 AM8/24/16
to HackerspaceSG
> Hello everyone, this might be of interest to you. The Singapore Ministry of
> Law just issued an invitation for public consultation, on proposed changes
> to the copyright regime in Singapore. The consultation period is 23 Aug to
> 23 Oct 2016.
>
> Details at:
> https://www.mlaw.gov.sg/content/minlaw/en/news/public-consultations/public-consultation-on-proposed-changes-to-copyright-regime-in-s.html
>
> A summary of the key changes is also listed here at the press release page:
> https://www.mlaw.gov.sg/content/minlaw/en/news/press-releases/public-consultation-open-for-feedback-on-singapores-copyright-re.html

I think this is a great opportunity to get the adoption of CC
licensing models into
the Copyright Act. The consultation paper asks about orphaned works etc and
also about creating some form of a registry for copyrights. All of these can be
easily taken care of if CC is adopted widely.

Thanks, Ivan, for bringing this up.

Harish

> Best Regards,
> Ivan Chew
> Creative Commons-SG public lead
>
> artisti...@gmail.com
> http://ArtistIvanChew.tumblr.com
>
> --
> --
> Chat: http://hackerspace.sg/chat
>
> ---

Harish Pillay h.pi...@ieee.org gpg id: 746809E3

Chinmay

Aug 24, 2016, 8:38:44 PM8/24/16
to HackerspaceSG
Hi Ivan,

Do you think this is a good excuse to have a meeting of the Creative Commons people again? I know many from the original group aren't around, but maybe it's time to reconvene and have a chat about what's happening with this and what can be done.

-Chinmay

Ivan Chew

Aug 26, 2016, 12:37:38 AM8/26/16
to hacker...@googlegroups.com

Hi Chinmay, yes a meet up will be most appropriate. Let's try to schedule one the week after the MIN Law public townhall. That's on 8 Sept. I think our CC-SG meet up will be more productive after we have heard from the min law/ IPOS folks, cos the session may answer some questions we may have and probably raise new ones.

Separately, Harish also suggested a wiki to collate CC-SG responses so I'll start a Google doc for that.

Will post more details in a week's time.

Cheers
Ivan

Chinmay

Aug 29, 2016, 6:15:58 AM8/29/16
to HackerspaceSG
OK. Let me know. We make the event in advance so we can poke enough people.

-Chinmay

Meng Weng Wong

Sep 14, 2016, 9:05:31 PM9/14/16
to hacker...@googlegroups.com
so how?

Kelvin Quee

Sep 14, 2016, 11:09:40 PM9/14/16
to hacker...@googlegroups.com
Hello everyone! :)

This is something that sounds really interesting to look into. Will there be a meet up soon?

Kelvin

Ivan Chew

Sep 15, 2016, 1:42:02 PM9/15/16
to hacker...@googlegroups.com

Hi Chinmay and all,
I attended the 8th Sept public Townhall session. Summary below. Hope it's useful.

Had a chat with CC-SG legal lead after the session. We came to the same view that at this stage of the public consultation, there isn't any specific area for CC to give very directed comments (the legal drafts would be a different matter). Maybe general suggestions at best.

Not sure if there's interest/ need for a meet up now. Or maybe just meet and see what comes up from conversations? I can do 26th Sept, Mon evening.

Highlights
1. MinLaw clarified that this round of public consultation is to seek views before they start drafting specific changes to the law. They will only start on the legal drafts stage after this. Then there will be another public consultation for the legal drafts (no time frame mentioned).

2. IPOS CEO expressed, without any room for doubt in my mind, that they do not intend to ban VPN. This came up during Q&A. But hey, don't just take my word. Write in to IPOS :)

3. For each proposed change, MinLaw talked about the current situation/ issue, and the Before/ After scenarios of the change. I did not ask for their slides, so you could write to MinLaw to request for it. The paper is a lot more comprehensive though. I'd encourage you to read the paper rather than rely on the slides (if you get them). The slides don't cover every facet of the change.

4. Just found out while writing this email: the second public Townhall session is cancelled.
https://www.mlaw.gov.sg/content/minlaw/en/CopyrightReview/registration-for-townhall.html

5. I intend to start a shared doc to see if the community has CC-specific comments, in relation to the proposed changes. I'm writing to CC Hq  to ask if they'd be willing to provide a general position statement/ feedback.

Thanks
Ivan