Document Freedom Day 2018

Huiren Woo

Mar 5, 2018, 8:57:07 PM3/5/18
to hacker...@googlegroups.com
Hi fellow hackers,

I'm Huiren, an advocate for free software and libre document formats/protocol. I'll be helping to organize DFD 2018 [0] and would like to invite everyone to join us for this event - either as a participant or speaker!

Document Freedom Day is a day where we come together and celebrate the beauty of libre document formats, discuss, learn and have fun. Its casual and a great opportunity for like minded folks to get together.

Best Regards,
Huiren

Kai Hendry

Mar 5, 2018, 10:54:04 PM3/5/18
to hacker...@googlegroups.com
Can I talk about how https://html.spec.whatwg.org/multipage/ is the ultimate open document format and ODF or is it ODF is considered harmful?

Huiren Woo

Mar 5, 2018, 11:09:02 PM3/5/18
to hacker...@googlegroups.com
Hi Kai,

Sure! All meaningful talks, discussions and thoughts are welcomed and appreciated.

My 2cents is that I see both ODF and HTML as libre document formats, but HTML as more of a markup language and ODF as more of a document format.

So I assume you would be ok with me adding you to the speaker list?

Thanks!

Best Regards,
Huiren

Roland Turner

Mar 5, 2018, 11:42:28 PM3/5/18
to hacker...@googlegroups.com
On 06/03/18 11:53, Kai Hendry wrote:

Can I talk about how https://html.spec.whatwg.org/multipage/ is the ultimate open document format and ODF or is it ODF is considered harmful?

Queh? You're aware that:

  • ODF is a container[1] for each of a document's components, for multiple document types (including for example, marked-up text); while
  • HTML is merely a markup language for the main component of a text document (i.e. not a container at all[2], and no support for non-text documents[3])

?

You appear to be comparing apples with delivery vans.

There might be an argument for adding to the ODF standard a profile in which the main component was an HTML5 file, however it's not immediately obvious to me what problem that might solve.

- Roland

1: In fact it's just a zip file. There is also a supported option for an all-in-one xml file, but this appears to be rarely used.

2: Granted, there are standardised and reasonable ways of embedding stylesheets and scripts, and standardised and unreasonable ways of embedding images, but this is hardly its strength.

3: You can shoehorn anything in of course, including XML files like those used by ODF. It's not clear that this would be better.

Kai Hendry

Mar 6, 2018, 1:21:07 AM3/6/18
to hacker...@googlegroups.com
I have dejavu. I think we discussed this before. =)

Still I am happy to debate for HTML / Web technologies over ODF (is ODT the same or different?) on Wednesday, March 28, 2018.

There is a poorly supported Web tech zip container format thing: https://www.w3.org/TR/widgets/