Reducing the pain of losing an Ezlink card

Kai Hendry

Feb 14, 2017, 11:12:54 PM2/14/17
to hacker...@googlegroups.com
Hi guys,

I can't work out from http://home.ezlink.com.sg/ or by calling ezlink
who always seem to be "experiencing high volume of calls", how to limit
the impact of losing one's Ezlink card.

For example if I top up 100SGD and lose it, how can I recover this? What
happens if I did *not* record the CAN #?

What steps can I mitigate or recover a loss?

I noticed that I can top up via Visa, so I can topup a low, say 10SGD
amount at a time, but the S$0.25 "convenience fee" is a bit annoying.
Has anyone managed to "apply" and use this service successfully?
http://ezlink.com.sg/ez-reload-auto-top-up/ez-reload-apply/ez-reload-by-card

Any other tips or tricks would be great.

Thanks guys,

Jeffrey 'jf' Lim

Feb 14, 2017, 11:29:46 PM2/14/17
to hacker...@googlegroups.com
You can use http://home.ezlink.com.sg/activate

-jf

--
He who settles on the idea of the intelligent man as a static entity
only shows himself to be a fool.

Kai Hendry

Feb 14, 2017, 11:46:47 PM2/14/17
to Jeffrey jf Lim, hacker...@googlegroups.com
Ok, signed up to ACTIVATE! (better name would be DE-ACTIVATE!). Guess I
shouldn't be surprised it goes from asking no personal information to
asking for your birthday...
https://s.natalian.org/2017-02-15/ezlink-activate.png

And the insurance for upto 10SGD of loss sounds hilarious.

I also found it interesting that I can now look at the 90 day history:
https://customer.ezlink.com.sg/CustomerPortal/my-transactions/card-details/days-details/?card=10000XXXXXXXX

That's a bit of a privacy issue if I took someone else's Ezlink CAN and
not mine, isn't it? To its credit I guess it doesn't tell you very well
where the transactions happened. And the merchant names seem to create
questions rather than give me peace of mind...

Roland Turner

Feb 14, 2017, 11:50:03 PM2/14/17
to hacker...@googlegroups.com
On 02/15/2017 12:12 PM, Kai Hendry wrote:

For example if I top up 100SGD and lose it, how can I recover this? What
happens if I did *not* record the CAN #?

What steps can I mitigate or recover a loss?

If you can't identify the card then, presumably, it's the same as losing cash. Even if you can it's probably treated the same way.

Do you carry $100 cash in your wallet?
  • If not, don't carry that on the card.
  • If you do, then you're already accepting the risk of loss of that amount anyway.
I generally keep my card between $10 and $20. Once it drops below $10, I take the next opportunity that presents top-up machines with no queues to add $10.

- Roland

Roland Turner

Feb 14, 2017, 11:57:47 PM2/14/17
to hacker...@googlegroups.com
On 02/15/2017 12:46 PM, Kai Hendry wrote:

> Ok, signed up to ACTIVATE! (better name would be DE-ACTIVATE!). Guess I
> shouldn't be surprised it goes from asking no personal information to
> asking for your birthday...
> https://s.natalian.org/2017-02-15/ezlink-activate.png

That looks slightly odd. It might be a step better than asking for
NRIC/FIN/passport number, although that is already asked for if you need
help with a transaction at station anyway. Don't know what to assume.

> And the insurance for upto 10SGD of loss sounds hilarious.

It's lead generation for an insurer.

> I also found it interesting that I can now look at the 90 day history:
> https://customer.ezlink.com.sg/CustomerPortal/my-transactions/card-details/days-details/?card=10000XXXXXXXX
>
> That's a bit of a privacy issue if I took someone else's Ezlink CAN and
> not mine, isn't it? To its credit I guess it doesn't tell you very well
> where the transactions happened. And the merchant names seem to create
> questions rather than give me peace of mind...

I'd have to guess at protection measures here (rate-limiting, logging
client IP addresses, alerting on unusual activity, ...) but I note that
it doesn't appear to work for a generic card. Presumably either (a) the
person looking has to be signed in and/or (b) only cards registered with
the scheme have their transaction data fed to the site.

- Roland

Harish Pillay

Feb 15, 2017, 3:50:09 AM2/15/17
to HackerspaceSG
> I generally keep my card between $10 and $20. Once it drops below $10, I
> take the next opportunity that presents top-up machines with no queues to
> add $10.

I keep enough on the card for about 20 work days of travel to and from the
office which is about $3 a day/round trip so that makes the top up to about $60.

So, having $100 is not too much, but it can feel painful if you lose the card.

Harish

Kim Yong

Feb 15, 2017, 6:12:36 AM2/15/17
to hacker...@googlegroups.com
you can buy ezcharm keychain or fashion one out of your ezlink card by soaking the card in acetone and extract the chip

Chat: http://hackerspace.sg/chat

---

There's no place like ~

Chinmay

Feb 15, 2017, 7:24:25 AM2/15/17
to HackerspaceSG

On 15 February 2017 at 16:50, Harish Pillay <harish...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I generally keep my card between $10 and $20. Once it drops below $10, I
> take the next opportunity that presents top-up machines with no queues to
> add $10.

I keep enough on the card for about 20 work days of travel to and from the
office which is about $3 a day/round trip so that makes the top up to about $60.

So, having $100 is not too much, but it can feel painful if you lose the card.

Harish

Chat: http://hackerspace.sg/chat

---

Roland Turner

Feb 15, 2017, 7:00:38 PM2/15/17
to hacker...@googlegroups.com
On 02/15/2017 04:50 PM, Harish Pillay wrote:

> I keep enough on the card for about 20 work days of travel to and from
> the
> office which is about $3 a day/round trip so that makes the top up to about $60.
>
> So, having $100 is not too much, but it can feel painful if you lose the card.

Indeed.

It occurs to me to add that my EZ-Link card is installed in an outer
compartment of my billfold, with an RF shield behind it, so I just tap
my wallet on the ticket barriers/scanners/machines. I generally only
take the card out when I travel so losing it would generally only occur
as part of losing my wallet, at which point the $10/$60/$100 on my
EZ-Link card would not be my biggest problem.

- Roland

Kai Hendry

Apr 6, 2017, 10:54:28 PM4/6/17
to hacker...@googlegroups.com
Btw I lost my Ezlink card last Wednesday, so I'm thankful I registered
my CAN number since I might be able to save myself ~20SGD of credit! But
there were some caveats.

I assumed I was able to report the card lost online in a form, but
frustratingly there is no functionality to be found. There is this
*de-register* option, but that's NOT the right one!

I did eventually find a 'Lost card' feedback form, which I filled in and
submitted.

No response.

Two days later I call Ezlink up and ask them about the replacement card
and balance.

Ezlink operator said you can't report a card lost/stolen online, you
have to call. I asked about the online form and she said she will relay
my complaint.

They've since blocked the card after reading the CAN number out twice.
Sidenote: If you block a card and then find the card, you cannot unblock
the card.

I asked to get a new Ezlink card, but she said I need to instead buy a
new Ezlink card for 12SGD and register the new number on Activate! Then
call her to transfer the credit within 7 days.

Cheers!