Papers We Love SG #006

Chinmay

Feb 3, 2015, 5:02:13 AM2/3/15
to hacker...@googlegroups.com
What was the last paper within the realm of computing/technology you read and loved? What did it inspire you to build or tinker with?

Come share the ideas in an awesome academic/research paper with fellow engineers, programmers, and paper-readers.

We're holding the Feb session of Papers We Love on the 17th of Feb. Join us at 7.30pm at HackerspaceSG.

We don't have any papers scheduled, let me know if you're interested in sharing any.

-Chinmay

If you use the Facebook you can also join this event. https://www.facebook.com/events/969776686384186/

vi

Feb 3, 2015, 8:15:28 PM2/3/15
to hacker...@googlegroups.com, vi
> We don't have any papers scheduled, let me know if you're interested
> in sharing any.

I would like to share:

Measuring Cognitive Abilities of Machines, Humans and Non-Human
Animals in a Unified Way: towards Universal Psychometrics

José Hernández-Orallo, David L. Dowe, M.Victoria Hernández-Lloreda

We present and develop the notion of ‘universal psychometrics’ as
a subject of study, and eventually a discipline, that focusses on the
measurement of cognitive abilities for the machine kingdom, which
comprises any (cognitive) system, individual or collective, either
artificial, biological or hybrid. Universal psychometrics can be
built, of course, upon the experience, techniques and methodologies
from (human) psychometrics, comparative cognition and related areas.
Conversely, the perspective and techniques which are being developed
in the area of machine intelligence measurement using (algorithmic)
information theory can be of much broader applicability and
implication outside artificial intelligence. This general approach to
universal psychometrics spurs the re-understanding of most (if not
all) of the big issues about the measurement of cognitive abilities,
and creates a new foundation for (re)defining and mathematically
formalising the concept of cognitive task, evaluable subject,
interface, task choice, difficulty, agent response curves, etc. We
introduce the notion of a universal cognitive test and discuss whether
(and when) it may be necessary for exploring the machine kingdom. On
the issue of intelligence and very general abilities, we also get some
results and connections with the related notions of no-free-lunch
theorems and universal priors.

http://users.dsic.upv.es/~flip/papers/TR-upsycho2012.pdf

Chinmay

Feb 4, 2015, 12:12:51 AM2/4/15
to hacker...@googlegroups.com, m...@vikramverma.com
Cool! Let me double check with archy. He had asked for a slot before in early Jan. If he's not ready, we'll slot you in!

-Chinmay

vi

Feb 4, 2015, 1:23:38 AM2/4/15
to Chinmay, hacker...@googlegroups.com, m...@vikramverma.com
> Cool! Let me double check with archy. He had asked for a slot before in
> early Jan. If he's not ready, we'll slot you in!

Isn't two papers the usual fare?

Chinmay

Feb 4, 2015, 2:53:03 AM2/4/15
to hacker...@googlegroups.com, nott...@gmail.com, m...@vikramverma.com
Melvin had mentioned he wanted to do one of Binary Lambda Calculus a while ago. So that's one slot.

Also just got a confirmation from Archy that he'd like to share on Shor's paper on Quantum computing that he had asked for in early Jan.

So can we push your talk to the March meetup? Thanks!

-Chinmay

vi

Feb 4, 2015, 2:58:59 AM2/4/15
to Chinmay, hacker...@googlegroups.com, m...@vikramverma.com
> So can we push your talk to the March meetup? Thanks!

Works! (Eagerly awaits BLC talk..)

Chinmay

Feb 15, 2015, 8:36:27 AM2/15/15
to hacker...@googlegroups.com
Bump!

This is happening on Tuesday (17/2) at HackerspaceSG at 7.30pm.

This time we'll have these two papers being shared

Paper #1 Binary Lambda Calculus and Combinatory Logic ( John Tromp) @[NjQyMTgzOTU5MjA4MTA3Omh0dHBcYS8vdHJvbXAuZ2l0aHViLmlvL2NsL0xDLnBkZjo6:http://tromp.github.io/cl/LC.pdf] - Melvin Zhang

Paper #2 Polynomial-Time Algorithms for Prime Factorization and Discrete Logarithms on a Quantum Computer ( Peter Shor) http://arxiv.org/abs/quant-ph/9508027 - Archy Wilhes

-Chinmay

Melvin Zhang

Feb 17, 2015, 11:11:39 PM2/17/15
to hacker...@googlegroups.com

Slides of the talk:
  http://www.slideshare.net/melvinzhang/tromp2007

Repository of a lambda calculus interpreter and programs (cleaned up version of the IOCCC 2012 entry):
  https://github.com/melvinzhang/binary-lambda-calculus

Regards,
Melvin

Chat: http://hackerspace.sg/chat