event: Dave Farber at NUS on 11 Feb 10am

Meng Weng Wong

Feb 3, 2015, 12:44:25 AM2/3/15
to hacker...@googlegroups.com
my old professor is speaking at NUS next Wednesday, about Internet governance. The talk is open to the public.

NATIONAL UNIVERSITY OF SINGAPORE School of Computing C S S E M I N A R

Title: The technical and policy future of the Internet - a heavily inter-related set of issues

Speaker: Prof David Farber
Distinguished Career Professor of Computer Science and Public Policy in the School of Computer Science
Carnegie Mellon University

Date/Time: 11 February 2015, Wednesday, 10:00 AM to 12:00 PM

Venue: Executive Classroom, COM2-04-02

Chaired by: Dr Ma Tianbai, Richard, Assistant Professor, School of Computing (tb...@comp.nus.edu.sg)

Abstract: Prof. Farber will cover two different but coupled areas in his talk. The first is his projection, based on his experience, on the evolution of computer and network architecture. We are just at the beginning of a major change in our field - what this is and what the implications on our field, both in research and in business will be discussed. As the impact of the Internet impacts the everyday life of the worlds citizens the subject of Internet Governance has become a hot topic both in Internet and broader policy circles. What do we mean by "Internet Governance," especially in light of the the global and decentralized nature of the Internet itself? What are some of the organizations and processes that shape the principles, norms, and rules, of the Internet from a policy and technical perspective? What roles to national governments and international bodies play in the system and on what issues are in the forefront of the global conversation about the evolution of the space?