Documentation about graphs

sha...@gmail.com

May 21, 2015, 8:32:42 AM5/21/15
to hacker...@googlegroups.com

Hello, I'm doing a personal project that involves intensive work with graphs and trees data structures.
There will be a lot of reads (indexed) and adds of nodes. I don't expect many random updates or deletes.
Do you guys have any recommendation on related documentation? Books or sites about algorithms, storage, partitioning...
Thanks!

Kai Hendry

May 21, 2015, 8:35:30 AM5/21/15
to hacker...@googlegroups.com
If it doesn't need to be interactive:
http://www.gnuplot.info/

vi

May 21, 2015, 8:48:23 AM5/21/15
to hacker...@googlegroups.com, vi

Kai Hendry

May 21, 2015, 8:51:28 AM5/21/15
to hacker...@googlegroups.com
Actually reading the original email, I think I might have mis-understood
what you mean by graphs.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Introduction-Algorithms-T-Cormen/dp/0262533057/
is typically the bible in Comp Sci courses.

sha...@gmail.com

May 21, 2015, 9:49:00 AM5/21/15
to hacker...@googlegroups.com

Yeah, I mean graphs as in the data structure. Any other resource a bit more specific about it? from a programming perspective, not a pure mathematical one

Chat: http://hackerspace.sg/chat

---

Meng Weng Wong

May 21, 2015, 12:51:51 PM5/21/15
to hacker...@googlegroups.com
is this more the sort of thing you're looking for?

sha...@gmail.com

May 22, 2015, 11:13:33 AM5/22/15
to hacker...@googlegroups.com
A graph database; I have seen it and can be useful at some point, yes, although I was more interested in what algorithms specific for graphs it implements, and under which situations it needs them. I'd like to know if the cases I want to implement need to detect graph cycles, if so, what's the best way to detect or avoid them, ways that I can transform a graph into something equivalent with less complexity...
I have found quite a lot of disparate reading material in different sites like segmentation fault or wikipedia but I still miss something like a whole book about the subject that puts the narrative together (maybe something like "the bible of graphs")
I'll be busy for some time with all the open browser tabs that I've open about it, thanks :)

Meng Weng Wong

May 22, 2015, 12:02:45 PM5/22/15
to hacker...@googlegroups.com
The Internet has opinions about this…

A basic intro should cover DAGs, spanning trees, Kruskal's algorithm, etc.

You want to go farther into Internet-scale applications, http://www.amazon.com/Linked-The-New-Science-Networks/dp/0738206679

Roland Turner

May 24, 2015, 9:29:30 PM5/24/15
to hacker...@googlegroups.com
I'd suggest TAOCP chapter 7.4, except that it's not published yet.

The Wikipedia page and the pages that it links to are pretty solid, but if you want a textbook-style survey of the field then check the references at the bottom of that some page; a couple of undergrad-level texts are listed.

- Roland

Lawrence Lau

May 26, 2015, 7:17:34 AM5/26/15
to hacker...@googlegroups.com
time v money ... I have access to a graph-based database (ontological search but can be repurposed). so you can either code your own (with attendant bug fixing) or license-in an existing software component and just treat it as a cost of doing business and save your time for more interesting tasks in life.

>  I'd like to know if the cases I want to implement need to detect graph cycles,
there's actually very straight-forward algorithms that I'd learnt at 3rd year CompSci to check for cycles (sorry need out-core cache refresh for actual name) ... if you are doing anything with distributed systems and potential race conditions then I lean towards yes. Otherwise depending on what traits you consider are "common" you can do a simple/multiple hash table with linear search which then depends on #unique nodes.