GWT 3.0 plans

macalase

Jan 22, 2016, 6:20:04 AM1/22/16
to GWTP
Hi All,

With all the upcoming changes and so on with GWT 2.8 and beyond.

What is GWTP's roadmap with regard to moving generators over to APT, etc. E.g what about gwt-jackson too? See https://github.com/nmorel/gwt-jackson/issues/63

Olivier Lafleur

Jan 26, 2016, 11:02:43 AM1/26/16
to GWTP
Hi macalase,

I don't know precisely what's the plan with gwt-jackson, but I know that for GWTP the plan is to be fully compatible with GWT 2.8 and GWT 3.0

Our top priority is actually (we're currently working on that) to move generators to Annotation Processors.
Also, we want to switch from Gin to Dagger.

Thanks a lot for your question !

macalase

Jan 28, 2016, 8:57:13 AM1/28/16
to GWTP
Hi Olivier,

Thanks a lot for the info.

I was just wondering, possibly kick starting conversations. I am using GWTP 3+ years now, I am using RestyGWT for my REST server side integration (GWTP Rest Dispatch wasn't available at the time)
Now with the current GWT plans, I was curious to know what might replace GWTP Rest, as it depends on gwt-jackson, and the generators.

I asked the same question on the RestyGWT group (https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/restygwt/qYiL0v7aJRQ) and the main contributor was liking the idea of using gwt-jackson, but as we know it uses gwt generators.
I thought a Rest Project would be a good place to start seeing as we don't know what is happening to uibinder, etc

If you are planning on switching from Gin to Dagger, will both be supported simulateously or whats the plan? Whats the big advantage Dagger has over GIN, (Sorry I haven't tried Dagger out yet)??

I suppose only time will tell......

Olivier Lafleur

Jan 28, 2016, 9:12:18 AM1/28/16
to gwt-pl...@googlegroups.com
Hi malacase,

We are currently converting the GWT generators of Rest-Dispatch to Java Annotation Processors, to allow that library to be compatible with the newer versions of GWT. That way, you'll be able to use it, whatever the version of GWT you're using.

I'm not an expert on Gin either, but from what I understand, I think it will be deprecated and/or removed in GWT 3.0, so we prepare ourselves for that change by moving to Dagger, which will be compatible. Other than that, maybe there are advantages to Dagger over Gin, but I think that for our needs, it's pretty comparable.

So, in general, our intention is to remove all GWT generators and elements that will be removed in GWT 3.0 from GWTP.

Olivier Lafleur
Arcbees

macalase

Jan 28, 2016, 10:13:15 AM1/28/16
to GWTP
Hi Olivier,

Thanks a million for the info, this all sounds like v. exciting stuff, and gwt will continue to grow because of it :)

Is there any branch of the Rest-Dispatch migration yet, or its still in the works? I'm sure there would be plenty of people interested in it. :)

Olivier Lafleur

Jan 29, 2016, 7:29:14 AM1/29/16
to GWTP
Hi macalase,

it's still in the works, but whenever we'll have something to share, we'll make sure to let you know!

Have a nice day!

Olivier