removing a constraint changes feasible model to in-feasible !?

Bob Pay

Apr 16, 2017, 2:04:54 PM4/16/17
to Gurobi Optimization
Hi,

I will really appreciate if someone help me to understand something.

I have this .lp file (attached) which is feasible. I just remove constraint "R6" and then model is in-feasible. I can expect it to be unbounded but definitely not infeasible. What could be a possible reason for this behavior?

thank you.

test.lp

des...@gurobi.com

Apr 17, 2017, 1:33:22 PM4/17/17
to Gurobi Optimization
Hi Bob,

This is due to the poor numerics of your model.

The following warnings from Gurobi are signs that it is facing numerical issues.

Warning: Model contains large bounds
         Consider reformulating model or setting NumericFocus parameter
         to avoid numerical issues.
Warning: unscaled primal violation = 0.075 and residual = 0.075

The reason for the poor numerics are the following variable bounds.

 -infinity <= theta(0) <= 1e+15
 -infinity <= theta(1) <= 1e+15
 -infinity <= theta(2) <= 1e+15
 -infinity <= theta(3) <= 1e+15
 -infinity <= theta(4) <= 1e+15

In general, it is not good to have large bounds such as 1e+15. The best would be to replace this with infinity or specify them as free variables.

To learn more about numerics see:

 http://files.gurobi.com/Numerics.pdf

Amal de Silva
Gurobi Optimization

Bob Pay

Apr 19, 2017, 12:09:36 PM4/19/17
to Gurobi Optimization

Amal,

I really appreciate your help. I should change the model accordingly, probably find a better bound on those variables.

Thank you.

Best,