degenerate solution

Gary

Aug 22, 2016, 1:57:41 PM8/22/16
to Gurobi Optimization
Hi,

I have a general question: does Gurobi be able to give some information about whether the solution is degenerate or whether the multiple shadow price exists.

I will be grateful if some people can provide some insight.

Thank you

des...@gurobi.com

Sep 15, 2016, 12:28:19 AM9/15/16
to Gurobi Optimization

Sorry, we don't have that ability.  You would have to figure this out by searching for multiple solutions.

Dr Amal de Silva
Gurobi Optimization

Tobias Achterberg

Sep 15, 2016, 5:45:39 PM9/15/16
to gur...@googlegroups.com
Well, I guess you are talking about LPs (and not MIPs). For those, the usual LP
theory applies: a solution is degenerate if it has basic elements that have a
solution value that is equal to one of the bounds.

On the primal side this means:
If a basic variable has a solution value x that is equal to the variable's lower
or upper bound, then the solution is degenerate.
If a basic row has a slack value of 0, then the solution is degenerate.

On the dual side this means:
If a non-basic variable has reduced costs of 0, then the solution is degenerate.
If a non-basic row has a dual solution value of 0, then the solution is degenerate.

And in practice this means: pretty much every solution is degenerate ;)

Regards,

Tobias