Why gurobi mostly returns integer values for variables

A student

Jun 21, 2016, 2:13:38 PM6/21/16
to Gurobi Optimization
I have a general model and there is no underlying structure that dictates the objective value or the variables take integer values in the optimal case, yet gurobi in most instances likes to return mostly integer values. I have chosen continuous type for all variables and picked LP as my model type. Please let me know what is the cause of this. Thanks.

Ashley Thornton

Jun 22, 2016, 3:15:51 AM6/22/16
to Gurobi Optimization
Are they generally taking the values of their bounds?

That's what usually happens if one or more variables have obvious positive or negative effects on the cost function: they are taken to their highest or lowest bounds (respectively).

T.

Jun 23, 2016, 3:25:25 PM6/23/16
to Gurobi Optimization
In addition to that, please remember that at most as many variables as there are constraints will not attain their bounds (or a fixed value). See "basic variables" vs. "non-basic variables".