Separable problems in Gurobi

Siamak Naderi

Jul 12, 2017, 9:37:12 AM7/12/17
to Gurobi Optimization
Dear All,

I am wondering if Gurobi does decompose problems which are separable.
Does anyone know the answer?

Cheers,
Siamak

Daniel Espinoza

Jul 12, 2017, 10:40:21 AM7/12/17
to Gurobi Optimization
Hi Siamak,

Gurobi automatically detect separable pieces of a given problem, and takes advantage of it.

Best,
Daniel

Siamak Naderi

Jul 12, 2017, 3:30:35 PM7/12/17
to Gurobi Optimization
Dear Daniel,

Thanks for the answer. I have an LP which is separable on one of the indices. I have coded the problem in Python both as an LP and decomposition of the same problem. When I run both, I see that the the decomposed version is way faster than the original problem. Is there any parameter that I should turn on? If there is not, why does it happen?

Many thanks,
Siamak

Daniel Espinoza

Jul 13, 2017, 8:15:42 AM7/13/17
to Gurobi Optimization
Dear Siamak,

We would be very interested in taking a look at your problem, could you share the model?

Best,
Daniel

Siamak Naderi

Jul 15, 2017, 4:42:00 PM7/15/17
to Gurobi Optimization
Dear Daniel,

Attached is the decomposed version of the problem.
I will be grateful if you let me know the results.

Bests,
Siamak
decomposed_gurobi.py

Daniel Espinoza

Jul 17, 2017, 8:56:43 AM7/17/17
to Gurobi Optimization
Dear Siamak,

Many thanks for sharing this with us, I'll take a look and let you know what I find.

Best regards,
Daniel

Daniel Espinoza

Jul 17, 2017, 9:08:45 AM7/17/17
to Gurobi Optimization
Dear Siamak,

And what would be the aggregated version?

Best,
Daniel

Siamak Naderi

Sep 9, 2017, 4:14:24 PM9/9/17
to Gurobi Optimization
Dear Daniel,

Excuse me for being so late. I thought, I had uploaded it.
Here I attached a separated and aggregated version.

Thanks,
Siamak
Aggregated.py
Separated.py

Daniel Espinoza

Sep 11, 2017, 8:40:33 AM9/11/17
to Gurobi Optimization
Hi Siamak,

It seems to me that both models are very different. In one you are formulating for every option; and in the other, for every store; however, stores and options are linked by demand...
Maybe I'm missing something?

Best,
Daniel