GitHub's Growth

DrQ

Jan 29, 2013, 3:19:10 PM1/29/13
to guerrilla-cap...@googlegroups.com

Baron Schwartz

Jan 31, 2013, 9:22:53 PM1/31/13
to guerrilla-cap...@googlegroups.com
On the topic of "I've got some points, I'll find an equation that looks like the points," see also http://www.xaprb.com/blog/2013/01/31/thinking-clearly-about-fitting-a-model-to-data/

DrQ

Jan 31, 2013, 10:32:08 PM1/31/13
to guerrilla-cap...@googlegroups.com
One of the most common mistakes that people make when starting with raw data (as in the GitHub case) is to confound empirical models with explanatory models. The two aspects are logically separate. You can have a perfectly reliable empirical model and yet, have no idea why it works.

In fact, historically, that's often how things develop. Zipf's law is a case in point. Discovered in the 1930s (by Mr. Zipf) it was known to work well across of wide range of corpora, but an explanatory model only came relatively recently.

BTW, should I be watching my mail for a check? Thanks in advance. ;-)

On Thursday, January 31, 2013 6:22:53 PM UTC-8, Baron Schwartz wrote:
On the topic of "I've got some points, I'll find an equation that looks like the points," see also http://www.xaprb.com/blog/2013/01/31/thinking-clearly-about-fitting-a-model-to-data/

Baron Schwartz

Feb 1, 2013, 11:15:27 AM2/1/13
On Thu, Jan 31, 2013 at 10:32 PM, DrQ <red...@yahoo.com> wrote:
BTW, should I be watching my mail for a check? Thanks in advance. ;-)

How about a bottle of fine Virginia wine? :)

DrQ

Feb 1, 2013, 11:45:37 AM2/1/13
to guerrilla-cap...@googlegroups.com
Moonshine? I thought it was too good to be true. ;)

Baron Schwartz

Feb 1, 2013, 11:56:40 AM2/1/13
to guerrilla-cap...@googlegroups.com
There's actually some pretty good wine around here, but because it's Mister Jefferson's Country and he was such a gardener, it's all kind of hoity-toity whether it's good or not. Well, send me your address, and I'll send you a bottle!

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky

Feb 3, 2013, 7:45:18 PM2/3/13
On Fri, Feb 1, 2013 at 8:56 AM, Baron Schwartz <baron.s...@gmail.com> wrote:
> There's actually some pretty good wine around here, but because it's Mister
> Jefferson's Country and he was such a gardener, it's all kind of hoity-toity
> whether it's good or not. Well, send me your address, and I'll send you a
> bottle!

When I was a young sprout, wine came from Europe, California or
upstate New York. Now, I'd be surprised if there's a single nation
that doesn't export wine or a single US state that doesn't have wines
as good as, say, our fine Oregon Pinot Noir from Cooper Mountain
Vineyards, a mere stone's throw from my house. ;-)

--
Twitter: http://twitter.com/znmeb; Computational Journalism on a Stick
http://j.mp/CompJournoStick/

The National Coal Institute reminds you, "There's no fuel like an old fuel."

Baron Schwartz

Feb 5, 2013, 4:13:46 PM2/5/13
On Sun, Feb 3, 2013 at 7:45 PM, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky <zn...@znmeb.net> wrote:
On Fri, Feb 1, 2013 at 8:56 AM, Baron Schwartz <baron.s...@gmail.com> wrote:
> There's actually some pretty good wine around here, but because it's Mister
> Jefferson's Country and he was such a gardener, it's all kind of hoity-toity
> whether it's good or not. Well, send me your address, and I'll send you a
> bottle!

When I was a young sprout, wine came from Europe, California or
upstate New York. Now, I'd be surprised if there's a single nation
that doesn't export wine or a single US state that doesn't have wines
as good as, say, our fine Oregon Pinot Noir from Cooper Mountain
Vineyards, a mere stone's throw from my house. ;-)

I'll trade you a bottle of your choice! My address is 1726 Dairy Road, Charlottesville, VA 22903.